Userpic

ngbenja1
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 14 years ago

Hi everyone,

My friends and I are Canadian and planning to travel Berlin --> Amsterdam overnight Sat Oct 3 (one-way). This will be our only train ride during our entire stay in Europe. From what I gather in these forums, buying a one-way ticket (as opposed to an IR pass, or any other kind of train pass) is the best thing to do?

I tried booking 4 tickets in a 4-berth couchette on the DB Rail website but I found the whole process very confusing. Why did ask me where we wanted each seat? Won't we be assigned a single couchette for the 4 of us? The total came to about 600 Euros. Is this correct?

This is my first time ever traveling by train in Europe and would greatly appreciate any advice/help.

Thanks!

Ben

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 14 years ago

:arr: [b]More information:[/b] [u]https://rail.cc/en/berlin-amsterdam-train/f2407[/u]

Hi Ben ...
If you travel by single train tickets (not with InterRail), booking via the Deutsche Bahn website, the best would be to contact as well their support - as they earn the money and it's their system... ;)
But to mention: it should be no problem to order 4 tickets in a 4 bed cabin (couchette). When booking 4 beds in a 4 bed cabin you will automatically have the cabin for you. But they also have a phone number on their website - maybe better to call them and order by phone - often they speak English - sending of the tickets to your home is then 3,50 EUR.
And to add: the 3rd October is Tag der Deutschen Einheit in Germany - Germany is celebrating the reunion of Western and Eastern-Germany. So all shops will be closed (except restaurants or mini-supermarkets at the railway stations).
Have a good time in Europe, Peter :)

Userpic

ngbenja1
Traveller
1 comments

replied 14 years ago

Thanks for all your help!