Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2469 comments

Posted 15 years ago

Hi guys

my girlfriend and I are catching the train from Istanbul to Budapest via Sofia next week. just lookıng for someone who has done the trip before...

do we change trains at Sofia? do we need to get a new ticket or pay a new supplement at Sofia? we are catching the 10pm train from Istanbul - how long is the changeover time in Sofia?

thanks ın advance for the help - we cannot seem to find much here in turkey!

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9333 comments

replied 15 years ago

hi ...
the information I can give you is: Istanbul - Sofia [u]https://rail.cc/en/istanbul-sofia-belgrade-night-train/f1641[/u]
and then Sofia - Budapest via Beograd - [u]https://rail.cc/en/sofia-belgrade-vienna-night-train/f1847[/u]

I already bought tickets for a two-bed-compartment directly at the train Sofia in direction of Budapest/Vienna. You can pay in cash and in EURO. but should not be more than EUR 40!!

Peter :)

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 15 years ago

The suggested route is to change in Belgrade, since you get more time to change (2 hours rather than 1) You wont be able to reserves seats for the Belgrade-Budapest train in Istanbul, you will have to do it in Belgrade (or maybe on the train to Budapest if you are short of time)

In my experience, international trains going through Serbia tend to be around 2 hours late (though our record is 8...) so the connection will be tight. Have a back up plan so you dont end up somewhere at 1am with nowhere to stay, no local money and no knowledge of the cyrillic alphbet (like we did)

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2469 comments

replied 15 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys!

So ıt looks lıke we wıll be ok for the change ın sofia as there is 2 traıns departıng that day. So assumıng we get the second connectıng traın from Sofia at 21:20 we then have to change in Beograd also - the train arrives at 04:48 ın Beograd then departs at 07:30...

Does anyone know what time the tıcket office opens at Beograd station so that we can pay the supplement?
Or alternatıvely where we can reserve a seat and pay a supplement onlıne?

Thanks again.

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 15 years ago

Why dont you go direct to belgrade and change there? Im not sure what time the ticket office in Belgrade is open until, certainly the one in Sofia was open pretty late for bookings the same/next day. If the worst comes to the worst you can just get on the train and find the guard, im sure he will be happy to sell you a couchette.

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2469 comments

replied 15 years ago

Hi,

I'm going to make a trip Istanbul - Sofia and Sofia - Beograd at the end o September, but I don't know what's the website to reserve the seat in the night train. Can someone help me?

Tks

Jorge

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9333 comments

replied 15 years ago

Hi...
Reservations are only possible to buy at stations, not online.
Peter :)

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2469 comments

replied 15 years ago

Peter,

Tks for the answer, but is it ok if I do the reservations 1 or 2 days before? Some of my trips will be short.

Jorge

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9333 comments

replied 15 years ago

If you travel now in September, you will easily get a bed ... or at least a seat - no problem even 1-2 days before departure. :)