Userpic

fischer89
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Hello mates,

is there any option to come from Leipzig to Athens in February 2023?
Would love to go by train, but seems not be possible. Can someone confirm that?
Whats the best alternative?
Important: I'd like to stay in Greece for a while and want to take my bike with me.

Any ideas?

Follow this topic
Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
587 comments

replied 1 year ago

Best (or less worse) way is to go to south Italy (Bari or Brindisi) and there take a ferry/

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
896 comments

replied 1 year ago

Correct, not possible. There seems to be a lack of interest by the various governments and train companies. Worth noting that a few years ago Greek railways were bought by Trenitalia - who benefit from people travelling via the Italian route. So I'm not expecting a sudden announcement of useful international trains to Serbia and beyond.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1334 comments

replied 1 year ago

Just a week or so ago was a same-same post GR->DE by train.
Weil ja die DE meist sehr überpünktlich sind: was da der Steve schreibt ist auch eher Spekulation odr Misstrauen. Da 99,99% deren die so fahren wollen wohl mit irgendeiner Pass da sind: Einkommen 0. In Zeiten des damaligen DR=Reichsbahn konnte mann im non-AC mit Plaste&Elaste-sitze im Sommer direkt ab L+D nach der goldene Küste der Mit-Genossen in BG ans Schwarzmeer. An jeder Grenze der Mit-Genossen strenge Kontrollen, aber als rote Fahnenhalter konnte mann sogar ohne Visum hinüber-die Wessis mussten zuzahlen und Visum beantragen. Das war jeh.
You can do most of it on rails-via HU-RO-BG, till border town Kulata-then bridge the gap of aboutt 25/30 KM by bus or taxi or diehard-walk, till Strymonas-stat overnite, 1 train/day on to Thessaloniki+many more to Ath. IF you can step down a little from preset thinking: you will save many hours by using the bus direct Sof->Thess.
But yes indeed, in terms of convenience the route via Adriatic coast of IT+ferry is much better.
For this and many more trips: seat61.com has the descirptions.