Userpic

TonyQ
Traveller
5 comments

Posted 15 years ago

Hi there! We are currently a group of 5, 20-23 year old students (maybe we are going to grow 6-8) from Athens, Greece. We 're planning to leave around 20/7 with a 22-day global pass. Can you suggest us a route, so we can see as many places us possible and the cheapest way (e.g. sleeping in a night train instead of a hostel, campsites near a city, outdoor sleep, no supplement night trains etc)? We also have driver's license, so we can rent a car (or 2), too!

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10724 comments

replied 15 years ago

Any preferences for a certain country/city would help...

When going with such a large group you may think together of some places that everyone likes to visit - then you can make your way freely between thes places and see where you end up.
Also it will be sensible to book some hostels and trains in advance if you don't want to end up using different trains/hostel because they're all booked. :)

Userpic

TonyQ
Traveller
5 comments

replied 15 years ago

A thought: Italy (Rome, Milan), France (South Coast, Paris), Amsterdam, GB, Munich, Wien, Budapest...

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10724 comments

replied 15 years ago

Ok then. ;)

Take a ferry to Bari/Ancona (I'm not a 100% sure about traveling on these ferries as a greek citizen, using a global pass they are normally free (excluding taxes)) then to Rome.
Roma > Firenze: Direct way via Direttissima (expensive AV, ESItalia trains) or along the coast, maybe stopping in Pisa and/or Genoa along the way.
Firenze > Nice: Several diret EC; alternative route with IC in Italy and TER in France (no supplements)
Along the french coast, stay where you like but check for availability of accomodation when traveling in a group; Cannes is nice, Grasse, Antibes etc are all beautiful villages. :)
Nice/Marseille > Paris: Frequent direct TGV services, attention! Limited contingent for InterRail, book early. Alternatively you could go with Corail and Corail TEOZ via Nimes, Ales and Clermont-Ferrand through a scenic landscape...however the TGV experience might be interesting as well.
Paris > Amsterdam: Avoid expensive Thalys, there are other possibilities without supplements
to GB: Cheapest way is the Calais - Dover ferry operated by Seafrance, ~9,50€ one way; in GB you dont pay any supplements quite nice for InterRailing.
Paris > Calais: Either with TGV to Lille/Hazebrouck and changing to a TER to Calais (only a few direct TGV to Calais) or via Amiens and Boulogne. Dover> London: Two trains per hour, either serving Victoria or Charing Cross, in London connections to whole UK
Calais > Amsterdam: TER to Lille, change to RE/IC services via Kortijik, Gent, Antwerpen then with IC to Amsterdam
Amsterdam > Munich: Direct night train, several day connections with ICE
Munich > Vienna: One connection every two hours plus night train
Vienna > Budapest: One connection every two hours
Budapest > Athens: Two connections via Belgrade and Thessaloniki

For detailed information about all trains and accomodation etc have a look at the relevant country board in the forum

[u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-night-train[/u]
[u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-train-reservation[/u]
[u]https://rail.cc/en/search-interrail-route[/u]

Dont hesitate to ask further. :)

Userpic

TonyQ
Traveller
5 comments

replied 15 years ago

thx a lot!!! i'm sure i will ask further! :P :os :|

i have read many times about sleeping in parks. Is that legal? Is it safe? I ve read for places where interrailers meet and sleep by many, too.
i had an idea about going somewhere in europe, and fly back to athens... but it s very expensive. I know about english charters that cost less than 50euro/all taxes-fees included, but i cant find one. I found from germany to milan for jst 25euro/all included and i m thinking going then to venice and then sail to Patra (maybe after the expiration of the global-pass)...

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9333 comments

replied 15 years ago

hi ...
if you want to sleep in parks ... mmmh... depends on the cities.
I recommend you just to use a regional train, leave the big city and exit in a small village, then walk some metres out of the village and sleep then somewhere in the meadows. :)
about the cheap airlines (ryanair.com , easyjet.com): first you have to reach the airport, they are often in the nowhere. check this before if a station is close to it. remember that the maximum of weight of your backpack can be 15kg in most cases. and it is not ecological... ;)
but check it before - the cheap airlines sound good, but... I don't use them anymore - in the past I was a fan of it, but they have to much negative points in my opinion.
Peter :)

Userpic

TonyQ
Traveller
5 comments

replied 15 years ago

PROBLEM!
We r goin to travel only 2 or 3 person... Last minute cancellations :/ xo :'(

Thinking about something different! Italy-France-Spain-Portugal-Spain-Morocco-...!
Any suggestions?
I'm thinking of goin Spain-Morocco by Ferry and then fly from Marrakesh to Charleroi-Belgium and then ...(???).

As Greek citizens, do we need a visa? I think that they need the return ticket...
Is it safe for a girl to go there backpacking? Does she need to cover her arms/head/etc? (i ve read somewhere that it is safe)

Any ideas of the train fees in Morocco? Tanger/Ceuta, Marrakesh, Casablanca, Rabat

THNX!

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9333 comments

replied 15 years ago

Here is a useful link:

:arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en/algeciras/ferry/c[/u]

:)