Userpic

vickihambly
Traveller
6 comments

Posted 14 years ago

Hey everyone!

Some help would be great....

I am planning an interrail trip in July/August this year and it has just occurred to me that it seems much cheaper to buy multiple one country passes as opposed to buying the global pass.
one country passes: [u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-one-country-pass[/u]
global pass: [u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-global-pass[/u]

I would be looking to buy 3 or 4 day passes for Italy, Croatia, Slovenia, Hungary and Poland. My problem comes when I am travelling across the borders of the country....can I do this as long as I have passes for both the country of departure and arrival? And does it count as a travel day on both passes or just one. If it is for only one country are you free to choose which or does it have to be a specific one?

Thankyou! Vicki

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi Vicki ...
If you cross a border (for example Hungary-Poland), then you need ONE travel day for HUNGARY and ONE travel day for POLAND - in total: TWO.
Peter :)

Userpic

vickihambly
Traveller
6 comments

replied 14 years ago

Thanks Peter for your answer...it answered my question perfectly.

I am now wondering whether in certain cases it is better to not have an interrail pass at all. For example in Slovenia, Hungary and Poland I only intend to visit one place. Obviously the interrail pass gives me more flexibility but I am keen to save as much money as possible. Especially as the journeys between these three places are often involving night trains on which I would still have to pay supplements I am thinking it may make sense to buy individual tickets.

Do you have any suggestions about other websites which may be able to tell me more? Otherwise the journeys I need to do are:
Split-Lake Bled
Lake Bled - Budapest
Budapest - Krakow

Any pricing details would be great!
Thanks, Vicki

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi ...
You have to go to a train station in these countries to get tickets and the fares.
And about night trains: if you do not have an InterRail ticket you have to pay the supplements for the different types of beds or seats (and it is often cheaper then to spent the night in a hostel) as well [b]PLUS[/b] the fare for the ticket.

Userpic

vickihambly
Traveller
6 comments

replied 14 years ago

Peter...

One final request!

I am intending to take the train from Lesce Bled (Slovenia) to Budapest but this requires a change in Salzburg. We will not be stopping here only for 20mins to get the next train. But will my one country passes for Slovenia and Hungary be OK for this journey?

Thanks, Vicki

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

hi Vicki...
you need an ONE Country Pass for all countries you cross - even if you do not stop there.
that's why they are called ONE COUNTRY passes.
so if you stop in Salzburg, you need a ONE Country Pass AUSTRIA - and if you cross AUSTRIA even not leaving the train, you need one as well.
transfers are not included in the ONE Country Passes, therefore you have to buy a GLOBAL Pass.
an option could be to buy a single train ticket for the journey inside the borders of Austria. have a look on oebb.at