Userpic

herbertthecat
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 14 years ago

Hello, two friends and i are setting off interrailing on the 1st July. The plan is Amsterdam, Strasbourg, Milan, Barcelona then Benicassim festival, with the 5 day in 10 day pass. (flying to Amsterdam then beginning our pass on the 3rd/4th)

We are stopping off at Strasbourg to break up the route to Milan, though does anyone recommend another city instead? i was thinking perhaps Zurich??

Please could anyone give me some advice on the routes we should take?
Has anyone done the Amsterdam to Strasbourg route? If so which is the best way to go?

Would be so great if people could let me know any great ways of getting about , Thank yooouu
xx

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi.
Strasbourg is definitely worth visiting - a nice old tow ... I just live 1 hour away and in summer it is nice to go there and sit there...
but if you have the possibility to chose between Strasbourg and Zurich, go to Zurich.

the route is easy and cheap to do.
take a free IC from Amsterdam to Brussels. From there a direct EC (free) via Luxembourg, Strasbourg to Basel - and from there by free IC to Zurich.
use the route planer: [u]https://rail.cc/en/search-interrail-route[/u]
and have a look here: [u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail/brussels-to-zurich[/u]

Peter :)

Userpic

Iceair
Traveller
12 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hey Peter

When I use the route planner and put Amsterdam to Zurich I do not get the route that you got, going from Amsterdam to Brussel, there to Basel and finally to Zurich.

My quetion is this, does the route planner not find this route itself or do I have to try to enter various cities and try to find faster ways. :|

And one question, If I will visit Swiss this summer what place or City is the most recommended for a good time on a budget :?:

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

Switzerland is never on a budget - if you want to save money, avoid Switzerland. ;)

And for the route planer: first select a route Amsterdam - Brussels
and then for Brussels to Zurich select it without HST or use the link I mentioned.

Peter :)

Userpic

herbertthecat
Traveller
2 comments

replied 14 years ago

Thanks for the advice and information its been great help! Could you please help me with one more thing... Which route do we take to get from Strasbourg to Milan on a free train?
Great if anyone could help again, Thanks x

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

Strasbourg 0739 - 0739 Basel
Basel 0801 - 0856 Bern
Bern 0907 - Brig 1011
Brig 1044 - Domodossola 1112
Domodossola 1255 - 1435 Milano

or

Strasbourg 1153 - 1309 Basel
Basel 1428 - 1640 Brig
Brig 1707 - 1745 Domodossola
Domodossola 1810 - 2013 Milano

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

just use the route planer... you will find several connections. but avoid the CIS in Switzerland. IC trains are free: [u]https://rail.cc/en/search-interrail-route[/u]

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

Sorry...dep in Strasbourg is 0623. :)

Userpic

herbertthecat
Traveller
2 comments

replied 14 years ago

ahh thankyou!

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

There are other connections too...just gave two examples. ;)