Userpic

eden
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Hi,

I'll be travelling from St. Moritz to Berlin in Dec and would like understand the booking system in Rail CC.
We have a German Rail Pass, and i understand we can use the pass to hop on the train. However, i am looking at the selection part on the Price column, the drop down list does not have German Rail Pass.
How do i go about it? Do i have to book in advance or just hop onto the train? I'm afraid there might not be enough seats. I will be travelling with a 10yr old child.

Appreciate if you could advise the best course for us. Btw, we have Swiss travel pass too. Thanks.

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
856 comments

replied 1 year ago

as it says on their homepage "railcc is NOT a ticket booking engine".

For this journey reservations are not compulsory but depending on your chosen route may be useful sometimes.
1. The train from St Moritz to Chur starts at St. Moritz so finding unreserved seats should be easy.
2. The connection from Chur (whereever you go next) starts at Chur but you may only have a few minutes.

after that it's down to route. Seat reservations in Germany and some connections in Switzerland can be bought on their own through the www.bahn.com website - fill in the journey details leaving "No BahnCard" selected then do NOT click Search, instead click on "Seat Reservation only". This system is biased towards fast routings, if you wanted a slower scenic route it gets complicated but can be done. If you want sight seeing or lunch breaks during the journey it's easier to do the reservations for each leg seperately.

Userpic

yogimax
Traveller
60 comments

replied 1 year ago

In late December 2019 I traveled on this line from St. Moritz to Chur, the train was full. There were no free seats. I entered a carriage that was reserved for a tour group, although I was not allowed to sit there, I found a free seat and stood with them. There were no free seats in the other carriages. This surprised me, basically there are always free seats.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
568 comments

replied 1 year ago

Maybe Yogimax was accidently in a glacier-express. There is an alternative from St. Morirz to Chur through the Vereinatunnel and I think this more quiet, because people think it's a D-tour. (compare PDF-tables 910 with 940 at www.fahplanfelder.ch). In time it is not because a tunnel (910) is faster than over a mountain (940), but the last one is more scenery. With the 910 you are faster in Landquart, where all the trains from Chur to Germany will stop.