Userpic

afwellgate
Traveller
3 comments

Posted 14 years ago

I have been interrailing several times before but only with my boyfriend, this time I am going in July with two friends for 22 days and planning it is a nightmare. As my friends have not done anything like this before they are relying on me to do a lot of the planning which I don't mind but they both have set places they want to go to and it's proving a bit of a headache trying to plan a route. Personally I know we won't stick to the route anyway as we'll decide we want longer or shorter in each place as we go but I think with three people we need an idea of where we're heading so we don't argue! We are taking tents so we want to go to places with campsites i possible and we'd like to get into the countryside as much as possible.

Their must see places are Rome + a Italian town in a more rural setting, Copenhagen, Melt festival (and somewhere to relax after for a day or so), Slovenia, Amsterdam. So here's my plan:

12th - Fly to Amsterdam
13th - Amsterdam
14th - Night train to Copenhagen
15th - Copenhagen
16th - Night train via Malmo to Berlin
17th - Melt Festival
18th - Melt Festival
19th - Melt Festival
20th - Munich (to camp and drink beer - is there a better town where we can do this?)???
21st - Night train to Budapest???
22nd - Eger, Hungary (wine tasting)???
23rd - Romania? Bosnia? Monenegro? ?????
24th -
25th -
26th -
27th -
28th - Ljubljana
29th - Kobarid (for the water sports)
30th - Kobarid
31st - Night train, via Florence I think?
1st - Assisi - does anyone know if it's nice, we want to camp somewhere in central Italy on the way to Rome near a train station.
2nd - Rome
3rd - Rome
4th - Ferry Bari - Partras

So we have a gap in the middle, as the other two friends have told me all the places they want to go the gap in the middle is mine :P but I'm struggling to know where I want to go. I have been to Budapest, Zagreb, Split, all around the Czech Republic, Austria. And I want to go somewhere cheaper and with a less familiar culture. I was thinking Transylvania looked nice but the trains seem to take a long time to get there. I can't find out much about campsites in Bosnia and Montenegro...Would it be feasible to visit Sarajevo, Mostar and Kotor in those days and could we camp? Any advice would be really helpful! Thanks :)

Follow this topic
Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 14 years ago

Sarajevo, Mostar and Kotor you say...

Yes I Say! Fantastic places - now, camping im not sure, hostels are so cheap in these places (really decent hostels €10-15) we didnt camp, but im sure its possible. Although I wouldnt recommend wild camping in Bosnia, especially if you go out into the country, there are still some active mines.

The train (2 a day) from Sarajevo to Mostar is awesome, and there are a few direct buses to Kotor from Mostar each day

Userpic

afwellgate
Traveller
3 comments

replied 14 years ago

Thanks for your advice :)
We think mostar and kotor in particular look awesome. Our only problem is the camping as we're trying to do our whole trip camping seeing as we're taking tents and stoves etc. Does anyone else know about camping in bosnia/montenegro?