Userpic

Dorman
Traveller
17 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Are there any trains whatsoever that I can get at this time of year to get me out of Greece?

Follow this topic
Userpic

yogimax
Traveller
60 comments

replied 1 year ago

No, there are no trains from Greece to Europe due to the migrants problem.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
858 comments

replied 1 year ago

There are no trains out because Greek Railways almost collapsed in financial crisis several years ago, like the rest of the country. The new owners of "Hellenic Trains" are actually Italian state railways. The fastest/easiest way to get to most of Europe is now by ferry to Italy, bypassing the ex Yugoslavian areas, then train through Italy. Guess who benefits most from this arrangement....

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1324 comments

replied 1 year ago

OR there is-for diehrd ´Iwantitallonrails´ fanatics a gap of some 30 Km beyond last stop in GR (Frogot name, its on seat61,com-as always) N-E of Thessalonik-to KUlata=border point where BG/BDZ trains start. THose stupid enough to insist doing it this way and not using the direct Bus Thess-Sofia will lose nearly half a day by doing so.
The obvious route via old-Yugoslavija has now gaps between all new nations untill Hrvatska=Croatia
Migrants would tipically not choose any train/bus where one can expect the usual routine borderchecks.

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9330 comments

replied 1 year ago

Hi.

Have a look at this blog post of Tobi:
https://raildude.com/blog/view?id=18

The first step out of Greece is by bus. Then continue by train. But always check national railway schedules. When do you want to travel?

Peter :)

Attachment Image
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9330 comments

replied 1 year ago

And if you prefer the ferry, there are several connections from Patras.

First Athens to Patras - the last part is by bus replacement but your rail ticket is valid:
https://rail.cc/blog/athens-patras

Then continue by ferry from Patras to Venice, Bari or Ancona. Read my blog post here:
https://raildude.com/blog/view?id=7

Peter :)

Attachment Image
Userpic

Dorman
Traveller
17 comments

replied 1 year ago

I find this blog post as well as alot of the other responses I have had on here no more than promotional material. The hard cold facts are that it is incredibly irresponsible for eurail or anyone to promote the idea of being able to travel on trains in Greece or the Balkans. It is not possible. And a complete logistical nightmare. I have wasted half of the time on my pass finding this out. It is not morally correct to market this pass as being able to work in these countries. It is impossible. As if you really read the posts then it just doesnt work

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

Hi!

Thats why you do your research before you buy your tickets.
But I can understand your frustration; unfortunately Interrail/Eurail usually only try to sell as many tickets as possible without acknowledging the numerous downsides off their own offer.
If you have to opportunity to return your pass (or exchange it to another type with less travel days) you could still do your trip but with less (international) train travel in the Balkans proper.

It is still a fantastic are to visit and explore If you are willing to deal with the local customs and circumstances. If you are looking for an easy quick trip maybe head elsewhere.

Flo

Userpic

Dorman
Traveller
17 comments

replied 1 year ago

They shouldn't promote that it works there

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago