Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

Posted 14 years ago

On our this summer's route we've planned to go from Dublin to Glasgow via Belfast and Stanraer, using Enterprise service between Dublin and Belfast.

Now I want to ask if anyone can tell me the truth about traveling in Northern Ireland with InterRail - I've tried to assure myself that you can travel without problems but then I've read that Northern Ireland is not included. I'm quite confused right now, the official InterRail site says you have to pay a ticket from the border to Belfast; on the official InterRail map Northen Ireland is not included; Peter, your site tells me one can use IR; then the InterRail statutes from öbb.at tell me nothing about an exception of Northern Ireland, but they say that InterRail in the UK is only valid for the train companies in ATOC, of which the NIRailways are no member...
Tried to check on the Internet but found no reliable source.

Please enlighten me. :idea:

Follow this topic
Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 14 years ago

its surprising to me too, but thats what it says on the official website. seems a bit weird, but then again the train service in northern ireland is comparable to that in the former yugoslavia..

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

Yeah...Initially i was hoping you could travel on Enterprise services as they are jointly operated by IE and NIR but alas...

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

I got some mails about this topic...
the distances are short and cheap - and some travelers traveled NI, showed their Interrail tickets and it was accepted by the train staff. confusing, but it seems to work ... but this not an official response. :)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

The single fare on Enterprise from Dundalk (border) to Belfast is 14,50 GBP...and going by bus is not an alternative for me. :D

Userpic

mweir668
Traveller
1 comments

replied 14 years ago

as far as i know NI is not included in the IR ticket...
however if you show your ticket, the conductor may let it go depending on the person, the enterprise has a separate platform in Dublin so they may not ask many questions.
if you have to pay for a ticket from belfast its £28.00GBP single and £40.00GBP for return within a month. im not sure of the fare from dublin to belfast.

Alternatively you can get the aircoach which leaves either dublin or belfast and connects the two, it costs 15Euro for an adult single and 22euro for a return.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

Thanks for the info - however we would only need a ticket from the border at Dundalk to Belfast which is 14,50 single if I remember correctly. ;)

Userpic

paulthebob
Traveller
12 comments

replied 14 years ago

I live in Belfast and I got a return ticket on the Enterprise to Dublin at the beginning of the year for around £20... that was single return day ticket... don't know where the £40 is coming from.

Unfortunately, Interrail is not accepted by Translink (NI's only public transport service). I can however, vouch for the kind people of Belfast and practically guarantee you that the ticket inspectors wont really care a lot.

Just play dumb tourist, it works for everything

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

It all worked out really well, the ticket inspectors (both from IE and NIR) didnt really care about our tickets...

Oh, and I dont really like playing dumb tourist. ;) However we (5 persons!) got a lift by Belfast Harbour Police from the place where the ferry terminal was supposed to be (according to the city map at Belfast Central) to the actual ferry port about 4 miles away... 8)

Flo 8)

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

Official news:
Since the 01th January 2010, InterRail can be used on all trains in Northern Ireland.
:)