Userpic

Janus
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 14 years ago

Hi everyone.
I was wondering if there's anyone in the forum that is going or has gone to the UK and Ireland using the Interrail pass. I'm from Portugal and I'm just starting to plan my trip so any tips are very welcome. Also, if anyone is going, from Portugal or any other place in Europe, please tell me, it would be nice to talk to someone, get some help and also, if I myself can be of any assistance, I'd like to help in what I can.
Thank you and all the best to you all. :P

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

I've been to the UK twice and will go this summer again, this time also making it to Ireland.

I've made good experiences with traveling in the UK with InterRail. You can use all trains without having to worry about reservations or supplements (except the Eurostar and the sleeper services).

The best way to get to the UK is the Dover - Calais ferry operated by Seafrance, you will find inforamtion about it in the UK or France forum .

I would start an UK trip in London, which is about 1h30-2h away from Dover. From there you could make day travels to Cambridge, Windsor, Brighton etc.

Userpic

Janus
Traveller
1 comments

replied 14 years ago

hi thank you for the reply!
I'm actually thinking about taking a plane to London from Lisbon, it will save me a day, then on the return, though Paris and stop for some croissants :P
I'd like to visit Scotland and Ireland too, I'm a little unsure about the time, though. I have the 5 out of 10 days pass, I'm not sure if it's enough...
thank you again for replying

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

Then I would definitely recommend the Caledonian Sleeper from London to Glasgow/Edinburgh or Aberdeen/Inverness/Fort William.
These are two very comfortable sleeper services where you only have to make a free reservation for a nice reclining seat. :P
As both trains leave after 1900 you can save a travel day as well as a night at a hostel.

Same applies to the Night Riviera sleeper service from London to Cornwall (Exeter, Plymouth, Penzance).

There is also the possibility to make the Holyhead - Dublin ferry with a night service.

You wanna make the return trip by train or plane?