Userpic

roryroryrory
Traveller
39 comments

Posted 14 years ago

As a British person, I have been use to trains that do not require reservations, unlike a lot of europe.

But now National Express trains are introducing a reservation fee of 2.50 for their journeys.

[u]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8048931.stm[/u]

I thought any interrailers going to the UK would want to know

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

Well, as long as the reservations do not become compulsory (and they don't, according to the bbc report), that shouldn't be much of a problem I think. :)

Userpic

roryroryrory
Traveller
39 comments

replied 14 years ago

But there is a chance the train conductors will make you stand

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 14 years ago

Are there any trains in the UK that require a compulsory booking? Apart from the 2 sleepers, one of which is listed here im not aware of any.

Good luck getting a seat even if youve paid for a reservation on NX trains leaving london on a friday evening...

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

[quote]But there is a chance the train conductors will make you stand[/quote]

Yeah, but I can live with that. And it's standard that a ticket does not guarantee you a seat.

[quote]Are there any trains in the UK that require a compulsory booking? Apart from the 2 sleepers, one of which is listed here im not aware of any.
[/quote]

No, I cant think of any expect the sleeper services (but there should be three of them: London - Glasgow/Edinburgh, London - Aberdeen/Inverness/Fort William and London - Penzance).

Userpic

Mixed20
Traveller
13 comments

replied 14 years ago

National Express in now nationalised so I don't think they going through with this.

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 14 years ago

source?

and national express :/

Userpic

roryroryrory
Traveller
39 comments

replied 14 years ago

The whole company is not nationalised. The UK government would not do that.
Just the East Coast line.
Really, any passengers should not experience any difference on their journey.
Perhaps a different lick of paint on the trains and carriages.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8127851.stm

Userpic

hedgehogs123
Traveller
113 comments

replied 14 years ago

National Express only operate the East Coast Line so thats the only one that is nationalised. But the Uk reservations system is just useless because English people just sit where ever they want to. If someone has a seat reservation and the seat is taken most people may move and let you sit there but on main routes London-Manchester, Birmingham-London, etc etc on busy days and peak times 8am-10am and 430pm-7pm everyday and Monday mournings and Friday evenings even with a seat reservation the trains are that full you just have to find a space usually in the corridors!

Usually just jump on theres no point reserving. Ticket inspectors wont do anything anyway if the train is full..

Ian

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 14 years ago

whats happening to NE East Anglia / C2C / Stanstead Express? Are they staying National Disgrace (Oops Express)?

Userpic

hedgehogs123
Traveller
113 comments

replied 14 years ago

Dont know about the c2c and Stanstead Express but this is off the National Express website......

[quote]East Coast Customer Statement
Following recent announcements by National Express and the Department for Transport regarding the East Coast rail franchise, please be advised that our service to customers remains unaffected.
National Express East Coast will continue to operate all its current services on the East Coast route to current timetables.
All existing tickets and travel documents will continue to be valid and honoured, including advance sales and bookings. Customers should continue to book tickets in advance for future journeys.[/quote]

Hope this helps

Ian