Userpic

alxonrail
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Are there any conditions on the outbound journey with respect to "diversions". I.e. is it possible to visit a city in the country for a few hours and crossing the border in the evening? How is this handled in the app/what needs to be entered into the ticket? I.e. I start from city A, visit B and end in C (in other country) (even if the train route may pass through A again on way to C)?

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
910 comments

replied 1 year ago

Whether it's a paper or App pass you have to enter the journey as one trip - ie from A to C in your example. If you then go off on a different route to B the ticket control staff should spot that you are not making the journey shown. If you enter A-B as one journey and B-C as the second somebody should notice that you have two journeys in home country. Whether they do anything abut it is far too complicated to discuss here, it will vary from person to person in some countries. This concession was introduced a long time after Interrail first started and was supposed to allow travel at no extra cost to reach the border so any diversions could be classed as abuse. The word border is a bit confusing, it is really the point at which you stop using your home country rail network - it can be an airport some distance from the real border, it could even be a place from which you catch a convenient international bus.

Userpic

alxonrail
Traveller
1 comments

replied 1 year ago

Ah, ok. Also I see in the App one can only add one "intermediate" step, thus only limited ways to force a certain outbound route (for touristic purpose).
Once abroad every trip can be entered on its own, then there is no issue with "weird" routings.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
589 comments

replied 1 year ago

The official rules are stated at https://www.interrail.eu/content/dam/pdfs/terms-and-conditions/CoU%20SCIC-RPT_v7.pdf par. 5.2, page 22.