Userpic

KateExpress
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Hi, I travel a lot for work within Europe. I used to go by plane, then we stopped travelling altogether in 2020, and now as travel picks up again, I am looking into options by train, preferably on a night train for at least part of the way. My next trip will be from Amsterdam to Madrid en of November. I have checked the site of Nightjet and Euronox, but there is no night train going to France or Spain as far as I can tell.
Am I missing any alternatives? Thanks!
Kate

Follow this topic
Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
587 comments

replied 1 year ago

No, probably to little demand. On the line Barcelona-Madrid are 2 competing companies running, Renfe (es) and OUIGO (fr). I read somewhere their is a 3th coming up (trenitalia) at the end of november. Maybe then, but I doubt it.

Userpic

KateExpress
Traveller
1 comments

replied 1 year ago

Thank you for the information!

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1333 comments

replied 1 year ago

IF it will also run adround that time the only NIght time train you may avail of is the one from paris to the south-via Toulouse-in summer it has various portions, incl 1 to Port Bou/Cerbere, the 1st stop In and last In ES//FR-connect to local braod gauge trains onward to Barca (currently with long stretch of replace-bus). OR change into-expensive- Hi-speed train at Perpignan.
For any further other trips & more info: seat61,com, far better and uptodate and geared at travelling brits
Note that FR/all transport is plagued by frequent and often unannounced strikes by their jolly workers for now-unknown how long this may last. They call that ´mouvement social´

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
896 comments

replied 1 year ago

Nightjet is Austrian and has a very limited number of trains that don't serve Austria. Euronox is an amateur website with not very accurate info, avoid.

The journey is too long to make a single train viable, especially when you add in the techincal problem of Spanish tracks. When the direct night train ran from Paris to Barcelona it took 11½ hours, to catch you had to leave Amsterdam in late afternoon by high speed train and change stations in Paris. You also had to change stations in Barcelona and catch another high speed trains to Madrid. The overall journey time was about 21 hours. Even if the train is restarted it's unlikely you will get much improvement in times.