Userpic

Dorman
Traveller
17 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Hi, first of all I love that this site exists and it's such a nice community.

My issue involves the outbound and inbound journeys. I am based in England. And I assume that travelling in Scotland would count as an inbound or outbound journey?

I have the 3 month pass and I will be in Scotland when I start this, Edinburgh actually. If I get a journey from Edinburgh or Glasgow to Inverness. Would this count as my outbound journey? Could I travel around Scotland as much as I like on that first day and have it all count as my outbound journey? Or would it just be one single ticket and I would need to be careful about what trip I picked? For example I heard there is a famous rail journey there so, perhaps I would be wise to pick that one.

Any advice would definitely be much appreciated and I do think it's great that this community exists.

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
895 comments

replied 1 year ago

For residents of Great Britain the outbound day travel can start anywhere on the "National Rail" network but must be to an international point of departure where you will go out of GB. This can be London St. Pancras, a ferry port or an airport for an international flight. So you can start in Inverness and head to Glasgow or Edinburgh for either a train to London or to reach the airport but you can't start in Glasgow and go to Inverness and then mooch around other places in the Highlands. The inbound rule is the reverse of this. These concessions on home network use are for reaching the border, not touring around the network.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
586 comments

replied 1 year ago

With the famous journey is possibly meant the line Fort-William to Mallaig. With a famous bridge in the middle. But you have to do it with a normal ticket indeed.