Userpic

Angel
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Hi,

I am thinking of travelling within Asia next July and August and wondered if anyone has advise on Train travel between Hong Kong and Japan?
I am open to any suggestions as nothing planned. I will probably fly in and out of Hong Kong. Travel time 6 weeks ish. Definitely no buses!
Thanks in advance

Follow this topic
Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1335 comments

replied 1 year ago

Start with the blinding obvious: look on map. Japan is a collection of islands. It has some excellent trains and a lot of very busy commuter line around its big cities. To get close by-in a train, and hence overland, you have to go via mainland China-which for now and the foreseeable time bars any big noses from entry due to its enormous fears of the virus. Which does not leave much trains over-perhaps the special metro express to the airport in HKG.

Userpic

Angel
Traveller
1 comments

replied 1 year ago

Please don't waste your time with unhelpful answers. I am looking for travellers experiences, with helpful advice.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
910 comments

replied 1 year ago

The fact that China is still closed and has no signs of reopening is good advice. Nobody has any experience in saying when China will reopen, whether there will be any special restrictons on visitors and what service level their railways will be offering when things do start to open up. And without that knowledge there's no a lot of real planning you can do. Other than looking on a map and check the journey times between logical stopovers.