Userpic

Roryk83
Traveller
4 comments

Posted 15 years ago

So I plan to travel around Europe this summer. Want to travel across Europe really and it looks as though it will take a least 6 weeks, but more likely 8+. So does anybody have any recommendations as to the best way to do this? Should I just buy two interail tickets? or is there a better solution that is cheaper etc?

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 15 years ago

I think the best is not to buy two ONE Month Global InterRail Passes... as you will always stay on some places for more than 2 days. maybe it is cheaper for you to buy two 10 days in 22 days tickets (or three of them) ... so you will save money but at the same time be enough flexible to move from one place to an other.
about your travel route... in July + August I would go to Northern Europe (Scandinavia, but also Scotland, Ireland, Poland and so on), enjoy there the summer and later on more to the South as you will still have sun there in September, but less tourists then. :)

Userpic

Roryk83
Traveller
4 comments

replied 15 years ago

Thanks Peter
That seems a better idea for travelling for two months
How does the 10 days in 22 days actually work - is it for every 22 days you're there you can travel on the train systems for any 10 days for an unlimited amount (i.e. all day) ? I assume the train companies stamp the ticket the days you use it, but if you cross borders etc do the different train companies stamp a day each or just let you continue to travel on that date as your ticket is already stamped? Sorry for being a pain about this but Im going on my own and havnt done it before and want to know as much about it as possible

Userpic

Roryk83
Traveller
4 comments

replied 15 years ago

[quote]Thanks Peter
That seems a better idea for travelling for two months
How does the 10 days in 22 days actually work - is it for every 22 days you're there you can travel on the train systems for any 10 days for an unlimited amount (i.e. all day) ? I assume the train companies stamp the ticket the days you use it, but if you cross borders etc do the different train companies stamp a day each or just let you continue to travel on that date as your ticket is already stamped? Sorry for being a pain about this but Im going on my own and havnt done it before and want to know as much about it as possible[/quote]

Actually I've just been looking at the tickets and it would seem if I go for say 2 months that buying the 2 global one month passes would work out better value than buying 3 10 days in 22 days tickets as it gives me a lot more flexibility for only an extra £115 (basically I could travel on trains for 60 days if I wanted to compared to 30 days over the same period). It means I could cover a lot more ground if I wanted to as I could basically be on a train every day if desired, whereas the 10 days in 22 days means that there may be a lot of time stuck in places Im not too keen on as I have a limited number of days on which I can travel again........any thoughts/comments?

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 15 years ago

that's definitely right ... you are much more flexible with 2 InterRail One Month Global Passes than with three 10 days in 22 Passes. :)
it was just an idea I gave you if you wanted to save a little bit money - but of course the solution with the Global Passes gives you more freedom and you can make more kilometres ! :)

just a information about the 10 days in 22 - you have a period of 22 days in which you can chose flexible your 10 travel days. just fill them in your ticket manually when you need them. it is no problem to cross borders then, as the ticket won't be stamped - you only write down the date of the travel day. one travel day is from 00:01h in the morning until 23:59h at night. you can use as much trains as you want. and fro night trains there is the rule of 19:00h:
[u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-night-train[/u]

Peter :)