Userpic

benbfc
Traveller
3 comments

Posted 15 years ago

Hi all,

Trying to find some info on the 1st train Constanta - Calan (that travels onto Arad). Its a night train obviously. I just wanted to know 1) Is there any dining facilities on board? 2) Well aware of punctual (or not) eastern european trains I am hoping we would catch the other train!

Has anyone done this trip before!?

Romania is one of the last places in europe I am yet to visit.

Cheers

Ben!

Constanta Th, 20.08.09 dep 18:33 E 1821 Schnellzug
Subject to compulsory reservation, Sleeping-car, Couchettes
Calan Fr, 21.08.09 arr 07:14
Calan Fr, 21.08.09 dep 09:27 R 631 Schnellzug
Subject to compulsory reservation
Cluj Napoca Fr, 21.08.09 arr 12:51

Follow this topic
Userpic

Emy
Traveller
7 comments

replied 15 years ago

Could you please explain exactly your schedule or give me a web site from where you have this information.

From what I've searched on the Romanian Railway website the train number 1821 is a slow train and has only 1st class and 2nd class wagons, no couchettes or sleeping wagon or restaurant. Unfortunately this information is valid until 27/04, so in the summer there might be couchettes and sleeping wagons since Constanta is our main summer resort.

I'm waiting for some more info and we'll discuss.

From what I've searched until now, the train 1821 runs from Constanta to Calan, but from Calan to Cluj-Napoca you have connection around 4 A.M. so The connection you have shown me, train 631 I couldn't find it.

I would recommend you to take the direct train Constanta - Cluj Napoca, it's the same type as the one from Constanta - Calan.

Normally during the summer I wouldn't recommend those type of train (except if you get couchette or sleeping cart). Also I would say 2hours are enough.

Userpic

benbfc
Traveller
3 comments

replied 15 years ago

The information is from:
[u]https://rail.cc/en/search-train-route[/u]

which i use all the time and is normally right.

And the date i was using was an august date. when we intend to go.

Puttin in August it says there are no direct trains with the best one being overnight with the timings as mentioned.

Schnellzug
Subject to compulsory reservation, Sleeping-car, Couchettes

Is what it describes train 1as having.

Regards

Ben

Userpic

Emy
Traveller
7 comments

replied 15 years ago

I found
A 1635 Constanta Cluj Napoca
Dep: 15:20
Ar: 04:51
Time: 13:31
Dist: 722

The information are contradicting, on the Time schedule of the Romanian company I couldn't find the train from Calan to Cluj at that hour.

This is the website for the trains schedule: [u]http://infofer.ro/default_engleza.asp[/u] it's the official one.

If you're going to spend your holidays in Constanta and you go there by plane or somehow else, I would say that the best way to get the ticket is to buy it directly at the train station. I recommend to buy it at least 2-3days before the date of departure( I've sad 2-3 days so you could be absolutely sure you will find places). That way you might find seasonal trains that are running only some day/weeks of the year. That's how I would do. Also in Romania, you won't receive any discount if you buy your ticket earlier. So it's the same price if you buy it now or 1 day before.

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9333 comments

replied 15 years ago

just some information: train schedules are normally online and valid (so that you can count on them) 3 months in advance from the date of today. so the [ux]https://rail.shop/bahn[/ux] schedule might not be correct always... but it is normal: it is a lot of data to fill for all European connections. better to use the schedule timers of the country companies (in your case the one from Romania) as it will be correct (at least a bit more correct than the [ux]https://rail.shop/bahn[/ux] ) ... :)

Userpic

Emy
Traveller
7 comments

replied 15 years ago

I for one, recommend people that want to travel in Romania with normal tickets, if they have 2-3days to spare in a city, not to buy the ticket in advanced by to much time, in the summer especially new trains appear, season trains. So it would be better to go to buy your ticket from the trains station 2-3days before the departure day. As I sad before, you won't get a discount if you buy them earlier (2-3months) or in the last moment (5minutes before departure).

The trains Benbfc sad, might in the summer period have couchettes and sleeping wagons attacked to them, but the connection is wrong (the second train doesn't exist at this moment, and the only connection between Calan and Cluj-Napoca is at 4 am). Always when I've traveled with that type of trains at couchette I never found a bistro or restaurant cart. Couchette and sleeping carts are the safest way to travel by train, because you are allowed to embark only based on a ticket and you're not allowed to go from one wagon to another, + at the entrance they will ask for your ID, to check who's sleeping where, as a safety precaution for the everyone in the compartment.

Benbfc, if that's your only problem when you travel in Romania, and if you have at least 2 days before departure time to go to the train station, trust me you will find tickets to any train you want. I would actually buy ticket the day before, or in the same day, but as a safety precaution I sad 2 days.

Hope you will enjoy Romania.

Userpic

benbfc
Traveller
3 comments

replied 15 years ago

Thanks Emy. I will bear that in mind regarding no food on the trains etc. We normally book trains for long journies, at the station the day before and not some other time.

I am hoping that the train will exist in the summer from Calan - Cluj or maybe Sibiu.

At the moment we are looking to go:

Bucharest-Constanta
Constanta-Cluj
Cluj-Brasov
Brasov-Sibiu
Sibiu-Sighisoara
Sighisoara-Timisoara

As the route! Looking forward to seeing all these places!

Userpic

Alexander123
Traveller
8 comments

replied 15 years ago

I thing i dont understand. Why do you want to travel in this order?
Bucharest-Constanta (4-5 hours distance)
Constanta-Cluj (8-10 hours distance)
Cluj-Brasov (2-3 hours distance)
Brasov-Sibiu (2-3 hours distance)
Sibiu-Sighisoara (2-3 hours distance)
Sighisoara-Timisoara (4-6 hour distance)
It will take at least 2 times more then if u travel in this way:
Timisoara-Arad (1 hour distance)
Arad - Sibiu (3-4 hours distance)
Sibiu - Cluj (2-3 hours distance)
Cluj - Sighisoara (1-2 hours distance)
Sighisoara - Brasov (1 hour distance)
Brasov - Bucharest (3-4 hours distance)
Bucharest - Constanta (4-5 hours distance)

Userpic

benbfc
Traveller
3 comments

replied 15 years ago

Alexander, its all about flights home and how we got them cheap!

Flying into Bucharest and out of Timisoara was £150 cheaper than any alternative.

So thats why we done the route.