Userpic

rettich
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Hey there,
I am from Germany, have an Internal global pass and ran out of outbound journeys.
Nevertheless, I want to go from Munich to Vienna by night train, but I can't buy a separate ticket from Munich to Salzburg from ÖBB.

Do I have to take an earlier train to Salzburg and change there, or could I just buy a reservation from Munich to Vienna and try my luck?
On my previous night train journeys, they only checked the reservation, not the Interrail pass...

Thanks,
Felix

Follow this topic
Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
589 comments

replied 1 year ago

Buy a normal ticket "ohne zugbindung" from München to Salzburg at bahn.de in combination with the reservation to Wien.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

Is that allowed in this train? I would have thought only global price tickets are valid. The proper solution probably would be a "partial pass" reservation which would cover the german part of the route plus the reservation.
Best option to contact ÖBB directly (I dont see this option online, although you could try to select "Klimaticket Österreich" as discount on ÖBB Ticketshop which should have the same result).

Flo

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
589 comments

replied 1 year ago

It's probably not officially allowed but it beats the idea of Topicstarter to go with the reservation only, since conductors look like only interested in the reservation ticket. But contacting ÖBB is of course better.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
589 comments

replied 1 year ago

Come to think of it (playing advocate at an imaginary court), if it's really global pricing (every distance same price) than München-Wien has the same price as Salzburg-Wien. Since Salzburg-Wien is covered by the pass TS had to pay the the difference with München-Wien difference which is € 0.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
911 comments

replied 1 year ago

The thought of buying a ticket from Munich to Salzburg raises the question about German tickets and "Produktklasse" . I can't find any official confirmation but Wikipedia implies that NJ is/was covered by Produktklasse B. Whether this is still true isn't clear but it definately means that Produktklasse C wasn't valid - which rules out Bayern Ticket etc....

And the global pricing comparison isn't valid - the argument won't be about price paid but whether there was a valid ticket in Germany.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
589 comments

replied 1 year ago

I think, when I am in such a situation, I will buy a ticket valid in a normal ÖBB train and take my reserved place in the NJ. It may not according to official rukes, but ethically there is nothing wrong. On the contrary: I paid money for a seat in a normal train which will not be occupied, so available for other passengers. And than hoping (and a bit expecting) the conductor feels the same way, after explaining.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

Global pricing doesnt mean that Salzburg - Wien costs the same as München - Wien.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
589 comments

replied 1 year ago

As far as I know the definition of global pricing is pricing independent of distance.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
911 comments

replied 1 year ago

Global pricing means airline style pricing. Which means no published tariff with fares varying between steps based on demand, and inclusive of reservation (and possibly other services) and with limits on flexiblity for alterations. It also usually means the fares aren't shared with other operators on the route.

Looking at the schedules there doesn't seem to be an overnight NightJet as on the 3 days per week that it runs it 469 doesn't leave Munich until nearly 06:00 and the first day train would be quciker. So I'm guessing the intended train is 463 which isn't a NightJet, it's Hungarian and only has 11x 6 seat compartments from Munich to Vienna. So that's a maximum of 66 seats but on night trains it's often possible for a group to buy the whole compartment so there could be less than that.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
589 comments

replied 1 year ago

I see a bookable NJ 40463 23:20 at bahn.de (asking München-Salzburg) with same time and platform as the EN 463 to Hungary, so it is the same train. If the 463 is really meant, problem solved.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
911 comments

replied 1 year ago

40463 (to Venice, 11x 6 seat compartments) splits off at Salzburg and heads south with 50463 (to Zagreb, 10x 6 seats)) and 60463 (to Rijeka 10x6 seats). If you can get a reservation on any of those sections it will not be to Vienna. When they've gone 40467 arrives from Zurich with more carriages to Budapest (including up to 142 seats) and more carriages start at Salzburg to Budapest (as 70463) with up to 160 second class seats, plus 1st class and a restaurant car for later. All the sections also have couchettes and most have a sleeping car.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
589 comments

replied 1 year ago

So he have to change carriage in Salzburg, but the ticket problem is solved. Normal ticket MUN-SALZ and Interrail thereafter.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
911 comments

replied 1 year ago

Possibly not, bahn.de says tickets can't be sold for 40463! But that may be a reservation issue. The full price for a fast train ticket is 38.40€ . Or get the 22:43 regional train and arrive Salzburg half an hour earlier, since changing will have to be done anyway - in which case the regional cheap tickets can be used, such as a Bayern Ticket Nacht from anywhere in Bavaria after 18:00 for 24€

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
589 comments

replied 1 year ago

Indeed, when they say "preis wird in nächsten schritt ermittelt" is meant "nicht möglich". But there is also a Bayern half an our later (BRB RE). Still more than enough time to change in Salzburg.