Userpic

TheCinephile
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 15 years ago

My girlfriend and I are chomping at the bit to do an Interrail Odyssey across Europe this summer. However, we have run into a bit of a snag. I currently live in Istanbul, and should have no problems getting the ticket. However, my girlfriend, who is Turkish will need a Schengen Visa in order to do the trip. This normally is a bit of a hassle, but we don't expect any real problems on the front. The real problem is this: To get a visa, you need an interrail ticket, but since my girlfriend is going to the US to study for two and a half months in May, the three month limit on the ticket will expire before she gets back in August for the trip. So, basically I am wondering if it is possible to extend the three month expiration date on an Interrail ticket so that we can get the visa in advance before she goes to America and still have a valid ticket when she gets back. If anyone could help out on this it would be much appreciated, I haven't seen any info on the net about it at all. Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas you may have.
The Cinephile

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 15 years ago

hej hej ...
it is not possible to buy the ticket more than 90 days in advance of the start of your tour. sorry - the official rules are like that.
it is the general rule for rail tickets, not only for InterRail: you can them always up to 90 days in advance but not more.

maybe it will help you: you or your friend can order the official InterRail ticket online at [ux]https://rail.shop/interrail[/ux] ... and get it send to Turkey to get then the Schengen visa...

all the best, Peter :)

Userpic

TheCinephile
Traveller
1 comments

replied 15 years ago

Well the problem isn't so much getting the ticket, it's getting the Visa, which can take quite a while. Since my girlfriend won't be in Turkey at the time, she can't apply at the consulate except before she leaves in May.
One possible solution, I suppose is to get the ticket, get the visa, then send it back and wear the 15% fine, and then buy a new ticket when she returns...
Is that possible?

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 15 years ago

yes this seems a possible way... to buy the ticket valid for a travel start at the beginning of May - get the visa - send the ticket back (it has to be done before the first date it is valid) - get the money refunded - and buy a new one then for summer. you have more experience with the schengen visa: don't get problems as the departure date/the first day it is valid - also the final day - is printed on the InterRail ticket... good luck. :)