Userpic

charmsc
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 15 years ago

Hey all!

I'm planning to head out to Eastern Europe for 3 months (Feb-April 09) but it's my first time in Europe and I've never used the interrail before. I've been on exchange in Denmark for the last 6 months so I should be eligible for the interrail pass, right?

My route is gonna be something like this: Poland - Czech Republic - Slovakia - Hungary - Romania - Bulgaria - Macedonia - (day trip to Kosovo?) - Albania - Montenegro - Serbia - Bosnia & Herzegovina - Croatia - Slovenia.

1.) I'm thinking of spending about a week or so in each country. Is this too ambitious?

2.) I've heard that I could be denied entry into Serbia if they see that I went to Kosovo. Has anyone had problems with this?

3.) I know that not all of these countries have great rail networks. Which countries should I get an interrail pass for? And should I do the global or one country pass?

4.) Like I said, first time in Europe and I'm from a warm, tropical country. Any suggestions in terms of equipment or climate or whatever? Someone told me that I'd be all right with a fleece and ski jacket and maybe to bring rain boots since spring means rain in most countries...

Even if you can't answer any of my questions, I'd love to get suggestions about places to go and things to do if you've been to any of these countries! I'd appreciate any help and advice I can get!!

Thanks in advance!!
charms

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 15 years ago

hej Charms ... :)

if you have a visa or residency permit for Denmark printed in your passport - and stayed 6 months there, it is no problem to buy a Danish InterRail Ticket. :)

to you questions ...

1) my personal experience says... if you want to know a place better than only the tourist highlights, stay at least 3 days... so one week per country is not too long !!
if you want to travel in total more than one month, you can buy 2 x InterRail Global Passes or mix it ... but there are no tickets valid longer than one month, you will need then 2 tickets. :)

2) --- ? I never visited both countries within one tour...

3) when travelling the countries you wrote down, a GLOBAL pass will be the best solution ... maybe also have a look at the Balkan Pass.

4) mmmh... you can buy anything during your tour ... so if you still need a rain boots, buy them in Eastern Europe. it is cheaper.

... I would recommend you Krakow (Poland), Budapest (Hungary), Black Sea in Bulgaria (try and eat the peppers there!!), then Ljubljana ... :)

have fun ... and maybe there is someone else with more nice places to tell you !! :)
Peter :)

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 15 years ago

When I was in Macedonia last summer, plenty of people did a day trip into Kosovo, but none of them were planning to try to get into Serbia. We heard stories of people being turned away at the border and having to go the long way around avoiding Serbia.

I think it depends on how lucky you are, whether the border guard is in a good mood etc, and of course things may have changed by the time you get out there

Userpic

charmsc
Traveller
2 comments

replied 15 years ago

Peter - Thanks for the quick reply and the advice! I don't know how you manage to reply to everyone who asks a question but I'm grateful that you do!

SiDUDe - Thanks for the reply as well! We'll see how it goes. I think I may just avoid the hassle by visiting Serbia first then Kosovo :)

Userpic

sineadb
Traveller
1 comments

replied 15 years ago

Hurrah!!!

Someone with a similar route! I am planning pretty much the same but through June/July so please please when you get back update this with how you found it!!

With the Serbia/Kosovo thing it will definitely depend on how lucky you get on the day. Sadly I already have a Kosovo stamp in my passport from a couple of years ago - so fingers crossed you get on ok!

Does anyone know about train routes round the Bosnia area? My friend says they aren't that great

SO EXCITED about my trip!

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 15 years ago

The train from Sarejevo to Mostar is AWESOME, really good scenery etc, the only problem is it leaves at some ridiculous time in the morning, and only goes once a day. There is a train into bosnia from the north once a day as well I think, but im not sure where this goes.