Userpic

NR1987
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 15 years ago

Hi,

Im interested in travelling through Bosnia-Herzegovina on my way to Budapest from Dubrovnik, but im slightly worried about the safety aspect of it. Being of Indian descent, i'm slightly worried by all this ethnic cleaning business mentioned in all the travel guides. Admittedly it was 13 years ago, but old habits die hard, so im just wondering if its safe to travel through major cities like Mostar and Sarajevo.

Thanks

Follow this topic
Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 15 years ago

I found bosnia to be one of the friendliest places I went this summer. There is still a lot of tension between Bosnian Serbs and Bosniaks, but it there is no violence, and as foreigners we felt no animosity at all.

Try to respect peoples opinion if talking about the war.

Try to do the Sarajevo-Mostar train, it leave at 6am or something, but is beautiful (other than that, take the bus...), and stay at Majdas Rooms is Mostar, theyre Bosniaks but living on the christian side of the river and have some really interesting stories to tell.

Userpic

admin
Traveller
203 comments

replied 14 years ago

Bosnia is without doubt the most comfortable place I have ever been. Am in Mostar at the moment, have been here for a week now and planning on being here for another. Agreed, Majda's rooms is immense, Batta is actually my hero.

Userpic

hrvatica
Traveller
3 comments

replied 14 years ago

happy :)

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9330 comments

replied 14 years ago

@hrvatica: stay polite and accept others opinion. Especially InterRailers are open and respect other cultures. And I don't understand what you mean: SiDUDe is only speaking about [b]respecting other persons[/b]. And your comparison is xxxxx - missed the subject. End of discussion. Thank you.

Userpic

Mirna
Traveller
4 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi, I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina. You do not need to be worried. People here have no problems with foreigners:)
War is a painful part of our past, that left some people suspicious towards neighbouring countries. But this problem has faded during the years. I think you will have a great time in Bosnia;) If you need any tips about my country I would be glad to help :)