Userpic

Daan
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 1 year ago

I have a question whether the night train from Chisinau to Buccarest can be used with a Global Pass.
Moldova is not in the list of countries, but the carrier is CFR Romanian railway which is part of the Global Pass.

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
896 comments

replied 1 year ago

I'm not sure the carrier is CFR, old style international through trains tend to be operated as a partnership with each country being the carrier. Only where private and open access operations (usually with "Global Price" fares are present does this change. I haven't got up to date info but in 2020 the train was provided (until borders closed) by CFM of Moldova with CFR providing locomotive, operational crew and a couple of extra carriages from the border. Although Romania has private train companies operating as well as CFR, in Moldova CFM seem to run everthing on their side of any operational border.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1334 comments

replied 1 year ago

AFAIK not. IF you want to use pass (the one with traveldays wil work out more expensive as buying just the ticket there), take train to Iasi and bus it from there. This train also only has russki-style sleeper as kupeyny (I am not sure and think No platskart, the cheaper open-plan type), so there is a hefty surcharge for using that.