Userpic

Laurynmcl
Traveller
3 comments

Posted 1 year ago

ICE train from Duisburg to Berlin Hbf. Train was delayed 3 hours and had to change route making a stop at Magdeburg Hbf. I believe at this stop my rucksack was stolen from the luggage area right next to me somehow. I’ve filed a police report and logged it onto the list and found page of Deutsche Bahn. All my clothes and toiletries for my next weeks of interrailing are in the rucksack. Is there anything else I can do?

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
911 comments

replied 1 year ago

apart from claim off your insurance?

If it is stolen you have seen the last of it. Your only hope is that someone took the wrong one and when the train finally ended theirs was found, then DB might get a call and be able to match things up. You'd be surprised how many people get confused during the journey (especially if the train changes direction) and go looking for their luggage in the rack at the wrong end of a carriage. I've even seen one come out of the toilet and go to the wrong carriage and not be able to find his seat or wife! I've also seen the piles of stuff found on trains at the end of their journeys.

Userpic

Laurynmcl
Traveller
3 comments

replied 1 year ago

Thank you for the reply.

Yes I’m making an insurance claim also. There’s really nothing valuable in it for anyone else I would just like my things, I have all my valuable on me always. I hope someone took it by mistake, I’ve assumed the worst. The police suggested someone took it, searched it and possibly dumped it. I’ll hope it was a mistake

Userpic

Laurynmcl
Traveller
3 comments

replied 1 year ago

Another question, does anyone know if rucksack theft is a common thing? I can’t imagine the 16kg would be easy? A handbag etc would make more sense and have more valuables?

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
911 comments

replied 1 year ago

I doubt any country has accurate data on actual thefts of luggage, at best they would have (but may not publish) data on reports. But "reported" misses out small things that don't get reported (or believed lost) and includes the mistakes that get sorted out later - so isn't very reliable. You make a good point that a 16kg rucksack isn't an easy thing to take - and rucksacks don't shout valuables inside like an expensive suitcase. But was there a choice, was your rucksack the only thing there? And were you asleep - it's possible that it could be a spontaneous theft by somone who knew it was yours and that you wouldn't notice. Some trains in Germnay, like UK, have cctv systems but it may not be possible for the police to access them on demand because apart from legal issues (especially in Germany) the older systems have to be downloaded with special cables and sometimes only at maintenance depots.

Userpic

Laurynmcl
Traveller
3 comments

replied 1 year ago

My friends bag was right next to my bag which was amongst other suitcases etc. I also wasn’t asleep at any of the stops, so I’m not sure how I missed it, after the 3 hour delay I just wasn’t on guard anymore I suppose. I’ve never lost or had any of my things stolen before so this is a real shock to me. Hopefully it was a mistake.