Userpic

amadeu
Traveller
36 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Hi all,

in August I will embark on a two-week Interrail trip to the UK with a friend and we would appreciate some feedback on our planned route :) Does it look realistic? Are we missing any must-sees? Would you recommend to skip anything?

06/08 Cologne - London (Eurostar)
09/08 London - Fort William (Caledonian Sleeper)
10/08 Fort William - Mallaig - ferry to Armadale
11/08 explore Skye by rental car (or is it possible by bus? Any tips?)
12/08 Kyle of Lochalsh - Edinburgh
15/08 Edinburgh - Windermere (Lake District)
17/08 Windermere - Liverpool
18/08 Liverpool - York
19/08 York - Bath
21/08 Bath - Cologne

Thank you :)
amadeu

Follow this topic
Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
587 comments

replied 1 year ago

I planned a trip like this a couple of years ago (but with a britrail pass instead interrail) , but had to postpone it to next year (for the wellknown reasons).. What I found out about Skye that there are 2 bus companies riding at Skye called Stagecoach and Citylink. See there respective sites.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
896 comments

replied 1 year ago

Caledonian Sleeper - reservation is compulsory, there is very limited space and it is always busy in summer. With a pass the sleeing compartment fee is expensive and sometimes more expensive than buying one of their online inclusive tickets a few months in advance. For 09/08 it may already be full. See their website www.sleeper.scot Their call centre is very helpful if you need it.

Stagecoach run local buses in many areas of Britain (including Skye and Highlands), Citylink run long distance routes in Scotland, in the case Glasgow-Fort William-Skye (routes inland and uses the bridge from Kyle of Lochalsh). There are only a few buses per day from Armadale to Broadford and Portree (none at weekends). And no car hire there either.
Stagecoach Skye timetables:
https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.amazonaws.com/Timetables/North%20Scotland/Highlands/Skye%20Revised%202022.pdf

Strikes have been announced for 18th and 20th August (19th will be disrupted) - advance notice has to be given by law and some parts may not happen.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
896 comments

replied 1 year ago

sorry, there is car hire in Armadale but it gets complicated if you move on via Kyle of Lochalsh and it doesn't really work with this plan.