Userpic

mtribe
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 1 year ago

I will be traveling from Amsterdam to Aalborg, Denmark and back (1st class Eurail). This journey requires several transfers, and each version I have found has a significant (3-5 hour) after-midnight layover in German stations. What are the train stations like? Would there be a place to sit (or better yet lie down) and rest during those hours? Not particularly interested in sight seeing at that time of night :D

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
910 comments

replied 1 year ago

The answer to your question is basically no.

The answer to your problem is that you are either using a poor quality information source OR you are asking for the wrong time of day OR you are asking for a day when a line is closed for some reason. If you are using an online journey planner it will default to NOW for the departure time, and if you are not in Europe that's NOW based on what time it is there not where you are. Use www.bahn.com and set the departure time and date to something close to what your real departure time might be. But the journey should take around 13 hours so to avoid long waits you need to depart by 12:38 at the latest

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
910 comments

replied 1 year ago

pressed submit too early!

12:38 at the latest from Amsterdam or 11:19 from Aalborg.

Userpic

mtribe
Traveller
1 comments

replied 1 year ago

How do I use my Eurail pass to pay on Bahn.com?

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
589 comments

replied 1 year ago

There is no mandatory reservation between Amsterdam and Aalborg (only voluntary, choose "seat only" or "nur sitzplatz" at www.bahn.de. For the Danish part www.dsb.dk. In the Danish area these trains are extremely busy, so reservation extremely advisable.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1335 comments

replied 1 year ago

In fact-NOW in summer the direct DSB trains from Hamburg into Denmark MUST REServed-you can avoid that by use the hourly local RE train till Flensburg and DSB train that start from there-set planner to segments to check.
The min. you have to change is in Osnabrück-from lower to higher part and Hamburg. But perhaps you just chose a date when there are works along the lines somewhere and that may mean partly by bus or rerouted. You can also set planner to required ARR time-then it kind of counts back.