Userpic

majathemess
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Hi :D

I got an interrail global pass 7d in one month. I am gonna use 6 of these travel days to travel from Germany to Italy, visit several cities in italy and go back to my home country (Germany) within 16 days at the beginning of august. So one travel day stays left!

At the end of august (so within 30 days from the beginning of the Italy trip), I'll make another trip: Hamburg --> Bruxelles --> Lille, France.

Would I be allowed to use the last travel day of my interrail ticket for this journey, even though I went back to my home country in the meantime?

I'm aware that I have only one inbound and outbound day to travel from and to Germany. I'm only talking about Bruxelles --> Lille at the end of August.

I would be glad for help, as I wouldn't have to buy a TGV train ticket for the Bruxelles --> Lille trip, if I'm right here.

Kind regards,

Maja

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

Hi Maja,

yeah thats no problem. You can use your travel days whenever you want during the validity of your pass, regardless when you have used your inbound and outbound journeys.
You can use your last travel day for the whole trip from the border, so it would make Sense to look for the cheapest Ticket from Hamburg Out of Germany.

Flo

Userpic

majathemess
Traveller
2 comments

replied 1 year ago

Thank you so much! :))

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
911 comments

replied 1 year ago

Theoretically the spare day could be used from the tarif boundary "Aachen Grenze" but the german ticket cannot be bought to there online, and I suspect you wouldn't be able to buy a Sparscheine to it even at a station ticket office. So a "Europa Spezial" to Bruxelles bought online and early would probably be much better value. You have to choose trains from Bruxelles to Lille carefully, Eurostar may not accept the pass for this journey or will have a high "reservation" fee, SNCF-TGV will require a reservation and that also has a fee that can be more than a normal reservation, I think SNCF-Ouigo bypasses Lille but they don't take the pass. The SNCB ordinary trains to Lille Flandres are regular and need no reservation.

There was a post a few weeks ago about the mobile Pass blocking left over days if you make a journey back into home country, paper pass isn't a problem.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
589 comments

replied 1 year ago

You can buy online to Hergenrath (for examble). That's a border station.

Userpic

majathemess
Traveller
2 comments

replied 1 year ago

I have already learned that the reservation fee for the TGV is just as expensive as buying a ticket in first place haha. I'll do some further research on both of your advices, thanks a lot!

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
911 comments

replied 1 year ago

Another route to consider, is longer but with less in Germany, is via Netherlands. Hamburg-Osnabrück-Bad Bentheim (border) then usually same train to Amsterdam. Fastest connection then may be via Thalys (another surcharge!!!) but ordinary trains to Antwerp are available and from there toLille without passing through Bruxelles.