Userpic

interrail-jane
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Hi,

when I don't purchase a reservation on a train but it was recommended - what does that mean for me? (I have an Interrail Pass.)

Does it mean I cannot board the train or that I can board but will be probably standing the whole time?

Thanks, Jana

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

Hi Jana,

in general you can board the train without a reservation; in case of overcrowding it can happen that passengers without seat reservations will be asked to leave the train.
What connections are you looking at?

Flo

Userpic

interrail-jane
Traveller
1 comments

replied 1 year ago

Hi, London - Edinburgh mainly

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

Seat reservations in the UK are free so if possible it makes sense to get one to be able to enjoy your trip, especially if you are travelling at peak times.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
896 comments

replied 1 year ago

London-Edinburgh direct is usually busy in the summer, each train has a quota of unreserved seats and if you get to Kings Cross early enough to first in the queue you would get one (Coach C on LNER trains). But if you know when you want to travel try https://www.lner.co.uk/travel-information/make-a-reservation/ as said reservations are free in Britain. Lumo also operate this route a few times a day but I'm not sure whether they accept Interrail. You can also travel between London and Scotland with Avanti (Euston station at London) - but avoid their "direct" trains which are not direct and take a tedious tour of the Birmingham area. Use a fast train to Glasgow (normally 30 minuts past each hour weekdays) and change at Carlisle. They also have unreserved seats, normally in coach C. If making a return journey London-Edinburgh-London I'd recommend going north with Avanti and south with LNER as the scenery is very differnent on the two routes. If you arrive in London at least a day before the joruney go to any large NationalRail station to get free reservations on any route.