Userpic

noahyschmid
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Hi,
I am planning a trip through Southern/Eastern Europe.
I wanted to ask how reliable the information on rail.cc is, cause it is very difficult to find cross-country connections in a lot of the countries on my trip.
And if its not too reliable, do you have an idea where I can find reliable information?
Thank you very much.

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
909 comments

replied 1 year ago

A sensible question! rail.cc is an amateur advice site run by the same person as this forum. You could also try reading www.seat61.com . But neither hide the fact that they can't say 100% accurate about everywhere. You should really check everything with the railway company would be using (I now, catch 22 situation, you can't do that until you find the train!). Sadly even official information gets worse and less reliable the further south or east you go. Night trains are increasingly rare. The main operator is www.Nightjet.com who are part of austrian railways but operate some trains that don't go into Austria and also market a few for other operators in the eastern countries which go into austria. Italy has a few nights trains run by Trenitalia. The services between Spain and Portugal are suspended. The Thello service from Paris to Venice ended last year.

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 1 year ago

Hi.
What route are you looking for?
The best is always to ask a person directly... :)
Cheers, Peter :)

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1335 comments

replied 1 year ago

Asnwer could be much more str8forward:
NO, rail.cc is not up todate-its mostly based on situatiuon pre-covid.
In Balkans-all countries S-E of Austria: there are now ONLY nighttrains (if that is really so importt?) from HU to RO and In HR (to the beach in Split) an the summer-only direct from Sofia to IST/TR with 1 car shuntd to BUcuresti/RO.
Note that NO trains at all run over the border between old-Yugoslavija falling apart (except SI-HR and the few Serbije-MOnteNegro) and also NOne at all to GReece. A railpas is simply bot a good investment to travel in these areas.
For those too flabbergasted: most people without car travel by bus overt there-faster, more comfortable, many more direct links. Many of the trains that do run are no good advertising for this means of transport

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 1 year ago

Typical half-wrong answer by nltrainer, no surprise here.