Userpic

iman
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Hello,
I'm planning to travel with my son to Italy and Swizerland, and want to buy the global eurail pass, my son is above 11 but below 12, in this condition he is considered child or youth, knowing that he has his passport which proves that he didn't turn 12 yet.
Moreover, concerning the reservations, is it a must to pre book before getting into the train?
Thanks,

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
857 comments

replied 1 year ago

You have to read the rules for the Youth pass to understand the Child conditions. Youth Pass applies if he is already 12 on the first day of the Pass use. So if he is 12 on a later day he is counted as a Child on the first day and until the Pass ends.

Most Italian long distance trains require advance reservation, and in the Freccia type this fee will be higher. The pass is not valid in Italo trains and a lot of regional trains which are NOT operated by Trenitalia or Trenord. There is no reservation requirement in Switzerland.

In Switzerland children under 16 can travel free if they have a Swiss Family Card and are with someone with a parent with a Swiss Transport System ticket. The Swiss Travel Pass may be a better idea than Interrail, as well as free children it includes the mountain buses and ships on lakes. https://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/inspiration/international-guests/swiss-travel-pass.html