Userpic

Guria
Traveller
3 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Hi all,
If your train is delayed by more than hour, what can you do about it, do we need to claim something and what do we need? It happened in Germany and Sweden for me.

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
910 comments

replied 1 year ago

The rules vary by country and will be shown under "Passenger Rights" on the operators' websites. It may depend on what type of ticket you have. For instance in Germany DB compensate a maximum 25% of the price paid for that journey but for multi journey tickets they will look at it differently. If you didn't get the delay confirmed at the time it is more complicated. It looks like the compesnation comes as a voucher for future travel.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1335 comments

replied 1 year ago

Incomplete question-you did NOT clearly state what ticket you have. As this site mostly aims Inter/EUrail: ONLY after having collected 3 delays of >1 hr, WITH confirmation by railway-it is possible to claim a tiny amount of money back-expect endless hassles in which they will try to say that it did not influence the total trip or whatever. In short: forget it, this is just 1 of the endless hassles that railways in their utmost burocratic attitude lay on their pax (BTW: on air you only can claim something with > 6 hrs delay). Reviews about SE/SJ though state that they are always quite helpful in helping you for onward connections.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
910 comments

replied 1 year ago

I found another post from this person, it does seem to be Interrail (and probably the phone version). I wouldn't be hopeful of getting any sense out that office. But this is an example of why international passes have become so complicated to administer. How do you get a phone pass stamped at a station to confirm delay? How do you prove you were anywhere when the railways have removed staff from so many stations and trains? And that's before you consider that most Interrailers would be claiming from a different country to where the delay was.

(EU airline compensation is from 3 hour delay. 250€ for flights up to 1500km, more for longer flights, not linked to cost of flight).

Userpic

Guria
Traveller
3 comments

replied 1 year ago

Yes it’s interrail mobile pass, sorry. I had to get an alternative route planned at Germany when my train was cancelled so got a print out but not sure it proves anything. Also sweden one was delayed over an hour.

Userpic

Guria
Traveller
3 comments

replied 1 year ago

Don’t know how I’m supposed to get the delay confirmed and I missed my connecting train due to the 75min delay on the second train after the first one was cancelled.
Thanks for your help, it’s appreciated.