Userpic

Bunny
Traveller
6 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Hello Dear Friends!
Please share your experience / knowledge. How to travel with a pet rabbit cross Europe as planes now don't accept pet bunnies.
We are planning a trip from Istanbul to Lisbon, we have time, so we don't mind checking out lots of cities in Eastern and Western Europe stopping for a few days in each town (so the bunny can rest and run around while we rest as well haha) using trains, busses, ferries etc. We want to see if anyone had such experience being on the road with a pet bunny using trains, busses and ferries in Europe. What are requirements, issues etc? Our bunny will have all the paperwork, pet passport etc. So, this info we got. Thanks in advance!

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
896 comments

replied 1 year ago

I think I'll be safe in saying there won't be any members of this forum who have expereince of taking a rabbit on a journey like that! Those members that read the reports will know what a nightmare it would be even without pets and with someone else to carry your luggage! Latest news was that trains from Istanbul westwards had resumed after a long shutdown, last week and to Sofia. That isn't very useful since the onward route via Serbia is reported to be closed. Reports say Istanbul-Bucharest will resume in a few weeks which would open up a clear route on to Hungary and then it gets relatively easy. Until Spain, where the direct train to Lisbon is supended and even if you can work out whether there is a Spanish train to the border there are only a couple of buses on the Portuguese side. The Spanish/Portuguese bus network is pretty comprehensive but badly promoted.

This all sounds like the plot for a book, but one has already been written (about a trip across USA).

Userpic

Bunny
Traveller
6 comments

replied 1 year ago

thank you for your thoughts! Actually, we found a pretty good route. And maybe this will help someone who has a bunny or another pet that is not allowed on trains. So, there is a Finn airline Finnair and they have plans from Turkey to Spain with a stop in Finland, and from Spain to Portugal is super easy to get!...so, research is a powerful thing! thanks ! :)

Userpic

Bunny
Traveller
6 comments

replied 1 year ago

So, Finnair allows rabbits in cabin! in case anyone needs this info for the safety of their pet traveling!

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
896 comments

replied 1 year ago

Finnair fly direct from Helsinki to Lisbon most evenings

Userpic

Bunny
Traveller
6 comments

replied 1 year ago

are you sure? wow! let me check, i didn't see that...if so, this should be fantastic! will check now...thanks!

Userpic

Bunny
Traveller
6 comments

replied 1 year ago

Wow, this is correct. How could we miss that! Helsinki - Lisbon! Again, I appreciate your help! We couldn't be happier :)

Userpic

TitiAisa
Traveller
3 comments

replied 1 year ago

Hello i need help please if anyone knows help me. Im trying to find out how to bring my rabbit from Balkan to usa i do know finnair is leting you fly in cabin but how to get to the nearest airport where fiinn air is flying. Or if ther is other airline please help

Userpic

Bunny
Traveller
6 comments

replied 1 year ago

hi! just saw your post. I'm not sure where in Balkans are you, but I'm pretty sure you can get to Moscow from any big city in Balkans. Then take a local plane from Moscow to Saint Petersburg and it's only 3 1/2 hous train ride from Saint Petersburg to Helsinki. And from Helsinki you are good to go using Finnair. BTW Aeroflot (the main airline in Russia) flies rabbits, too! Not sure what's the situation with the war, but other than that, this is the easiest route to bring your bunny with you and in cabin! Good luck!

Userpic

TitiAisa
Traveller
3 comments

replied 1 year ago

Thank you

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
896 comments

replied 1 year ago

you'll be very lucky to find any flight to Moscow, Russian airlines are banned form EU airspace and EU from Russian airspace. The St Petersburg to Helsinki trains were stopped at the end of March.

Userpic

TitiAisa
Traveller
3 comments

replied 1 year ago

Thats not good g gank you for info to both of you