Userpic

LucasCayolla
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Hi, I'm looking forward to interrailing this summer and it's focused on southern Europe.
A part of my route includes Zagreb-Belgrade-Thessaloniki-Sofia, and this is where I find my problems.
I searched through several sources, among those, the official railway company sites, and I couldn't get any reliable info about those train trips.

Is the Hellas Express suspended(Belgrade-Thessaloniki via Skopje)?
What is the status of the Zagreb-Belgrade trip?
How is travel from Thessaloniki to Sofia?

I hope this helps me find answers.

Follow this topic
Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1335 comments

replied 1 year ago

Short and blunt: forget using a pass over there-that is so pre-2000. Currently NO trains over the border-and very, very few IN the country- of RS=Rep. Serbije, Bosnia, Macedonia and GReece. What is doable -over rails- with lots of planning is go via HU - RO -BG and now even again onward to IST in TR. But if you want the first: go by bus, just buy ticket when there
Go to community.eurail for more info and overviews. Everything has been asked and posted before

Userpic

Spas
Traveller
7 comments

replied 1 year ago

The only possible way to reach Bulgaria by train is through Romania. There is a Bucharest - Ruse - Sofia train leaving at 11h. In the other direction there is a nice connection starting from 16.06. Sofia - Vidin - Craiova - Vienna with trains 7020, 1090, 349(sleeping car) with changes in Vidin and Craiova. It's a 24 h trip to Vienna. In the other direction it's better to travel through Ruse.