Userpic

hanpa01
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 2 years ago

Hey, I want to go to Marseille, Nîmes & Montpellier, and don't want to use one travel day per destination, because they're near by each other. I wondered if I could take the bus for traveling between the three cities and then continue with my rail ticket in the last city of them. As I understood, you always have to write down every train station, so might the 'gap' be a problem?

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 2 years ago

Hi!

You can use any mode of transport you want.
The travel diary doesnt need to have continuous journeys filled in.
Ylu can also buy single tickets for the train of course which can be cheaper than a travel day for local journeys.

Flo

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
907 comments

replied 2 years ago

As Flo says, you can buy train tickets locally for any short sections that aren't worth using a pass day for. Regional trains are a turn up and go operation and don't need reservations like TGV or InterCites. Route timetables are available as PDF files via this page https://m.ter.sncf.com/occitanie/se-deplacer/fiches-horaires and enter Nîmes as the "Gare", note most will be updated at the start of July.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1334 comments

replied 2 years ago

1.there are indeed local buses and often very cheap there-like just 1€ or so per ride-or sometimes as they still do not want to sell tickets-covid!-free in practice.
2.now the bad news; There are NO ´lignes d´autocars reguliërs´ between these towns-the buses are only to serve villages without stations-mostly schoolkids. But there are a very few exceptions-that often surprise or even hinder the railfan: f.e. Marseille-AixenProvince is much better, faster, more frequent by bus. But you really have to know the networks to be able to make use of it.
This ´diary/travel record´ is only for the railways to in the end divide up the takings of the passes sold to the railways they were used on-in a fairly rough way-in the past with only paperpasses this was done by hand-manual-which is=was why you had to send it back after use.