Userpic

Lizzy
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 2 years ago

Hello,
I am from Belgium and in September this year, I want to join a friend in Slovenia and I want to travel by train.
I have seen that I will have to transfer in Munich, and that's not a problem.
But then I need to take a night train to Ljubljana and it seems I need to transfer trains again in the middle of the night in Schwarzach-St. Veit.
Is there really no night-train available to Ljubljana where I can just stay on the train to try and get some sleep at least?

thanks for the help
Lizzy

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 2 years ago

Hi Lizzy!

The Munich to Ljubljana night train runs daily and you do not have to change trains in the middle of the night.

I would assume that there is an error in the schedule planners (a possible reason could be in the complicated nature of this train: the carriages Munich to Ljubljana (and onwards to Zagreb) are "through coaches" which are attached to the Munich to Budapest night train between Munich and Salzburg and to the Vienna to Venice night train between Salzburg and Schwarzach-St.Veit. Only from Schwarzach-St.Veit the "real" night train to Zagreb begins, consisting of the coaches from Munich and the coaches from Zürich - I hope that is more or less understandable. Anyways, due to this complicated structure errors in the schedule planner can occur from time to time).

Another option could be that there will be track works and the train will be diverted and the new schedule is not yet online.

I would simply wait and check the schedule from time to time.

Flo

Userpic

Lizzy
Traveller
1 comments

replied 2 years ago

Thanks a lot Flo, I'm happy now! I would assume that booking in August or so would be totally fine?
Lizzy

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 2 years ago

Yeah, that should work fine. It depends a little on what kind of accomodation you are looking for (sleeper, couchette or seat) and which day of the week you intend to travel but in general it shouldnt be a problem booking for a travel date in September in August.

I realized that my description above was not quite correct, because the Zurich to Zagreb night train is a different train (arriving in Ljubljana and Zagreb about two hours later than the train from Munich). However the overall problem could be the same.
You can check the "original" connection (without a change in Schwarzach) if you search for a date for instance next week.

I assume you are starting your journey in Belgium?
You might also think about travelling via Zurich in case you want to sleep a little longer in the morning.
However, this will result in a longer travel time overall.