Userpic

Jacobnoer
Traveller
3 comments

Posted 1 year ago

Hello!

I can not seem to find a way in 2022 to go from Istanbul to Izmir by train and interrail-pass. Bus is fine for me, but obviosly I would prefer train as I have an Interrail-pass

Kind regards
Jacob

Follow this topic
Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1324 comments

replied 1 year ago

Its easy: forget using a pass in TR. The only lines currently running are the ´hi´speed lines Ist-Ank with branch to Konya. Due to covid and ever mounting losses nearly all other trains (except the very cheap local metro-lookaline banliyö) have been suspended. There are NO intern. trains either into TR.
Even in times when there was the normal service there were never direct trains-look at a decent map to see why. The way was ferry to (bandirma? or so) then train-2/day.
In TR the Main use of overland travel is the BUS-there will/would be a bus about ev 30 mins on this route-combined out of a dozen or so companies. Once youve seen a few of those giant superdeluxe busstations you also understand why. Even 20 yrs ago this story was already in every decent travelguidebook for Türkiye.
(in case of doubt: yes, I´ve done the route by bus once and from Izm to Ank then on an overnight train-couchette-without any sheets/bedding-apparently this was normal then and there.
Do not worry about booking buses weeks/monthes ahead- (ecept the busy days when ramadan finishes)-just go to station and find next one