PaulAner
Traveller
9 comments

Posted 2 years ago

Dear Interrailers,

this is a draft of my travel plan:

München-Hamburg (night train)-Stockholm

Stockholm-Narvik (night train)

3.8. to 9.8. between Narvik, Tromsø and Bodø, travelling by bus (Interrail passes apparently not accepted)

Bodø-Trondheim

Trondheim (day train)-Oslo (night train)-Bergen

Bergen-Flåmsbana-Oslo

Oslo-Göteborg-Malmö (night train)-Hamburg

I counted 6 days travelling within 3 weeks. Is it safe to buy a pass for 7 days within 1 month?
Train trips Munich-Hamburg and back are not included, is it correct?
Thanks in advance for your precious advice.

Follow this topic
Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1324 comments

replied 2 years ago

Ja, yes, your calculation is correct. Though I am not sure about the N-tr HH->STO, which one do you mean; Snalltaget or the new to come (but I¨ve seen somewhere it will be after summer) from SJ.
Note that In NO=SE all your trains must be reserved at additional cost, perhaps via SJ.se (that nighttrain is run by vy.se and has reported no easy to find onlie REServ., in NO (even though IR says it is not really needed-this is not anymore the case) via entur.no or when there. JUst seats do not need to be REServed in panick 3 month advance. Use snalltaget for REServ on that night train, use eurail as code, then seats are 199SEK.
AND a big bonus: to IR-Global you may use 2 of the traveldays for a trip OUT and IN in your homecountry-that saves a bundle on DB.
But you cannot then use day 7 for a short return to f.e. Innsbruck-as you have to pay then for the german part.
Tip/hint: Trondheim is not that interesting, shorten stay, stay longer in Oslo. Unless you have other plans made already. in Bergen it always rains. Flamsbana cost extra (I did it when it was all NSB and free/included). the direct BUS Narvik-BOdoe (get out at Fauske for train) gives 50% discount, but AFAIK no other buses in that area-and these are very expensive.

Userpic

Risberg
Traveller
43 comments

replied 2 years ago

Oslo is not the town in Norway I would recommend to stay in for a long time (I've lived 22 years there). Bergen is Scandinavia's most beautiful town. Northern and Western Norway is far more spectacular than the Oslo area.

Userpic

PaulAner
Traveller
9 comments

replied 2 years ago

@nltrainer
Yes, the night train DE-SE and back by Snälltåget. I didn't know about the SJ connection yet to come.

"AND a big bonus: to IR-Global you may use 2 of the traveldays for a trip OUT and IN in your homecountry-that saves a bundle on DB."
Do you mean I can use an ICE from home to Hamburg and back with just a reservation?

"the direct BUS Narvik-BOdoe (get out at Fauske for train) gives 50% discount"
Which bus line do you mean? Reis Nordland?

Please, don't get me wrong if I ask you to stick to the topic. I'd like to plan the stay in each city I'm in considering a day hiking as well. No need to bother with this kind of tips, thanks.

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9330 comments

replied 1 year ago

Hi.
The Snälltåget night train from Hamburg to Stockholm is not included in Interrail.
Lets see when the new SJ night train comes. This one should be possible to use with Interrail.

Night train Stockholm to Narvik is now provided by Norwegian railway company VY.
Buy the reservation on www.sj.se . There you can select as option and discount card "Interrail and Eurail". Seats are available from SEK 48. Beds of course as well. :)
See my film here, still with the SJ branding:
https://youtu.be/xMWG0H9LHh4

The bus from Narvik to Fauske/Bodö only gives 50% discount to Norwegian students, as much as I know. But you can contact www.reisnordland.no and ask for it. The standard ticket price is about 50 EUR.
See my film about this trip here: https://youtu.be/h6bkQ6r_0vk

Fauske - Trondheim - Oslo is now provided by SJ-Nord, the Swedish company.
I have currently no option in mind where to reserve this train. Try to contace www.sj.no

With Interrail you have one outbound day (leave your country of residence) and one inbound day, to come back.
Calculate if it make sense to spent one of your travel days or if it is cheaper to buy a Sparpreis of Deutsche Bahn. :)

Best, Peter :)

Userpic

PaulAner
Traveller
9 comments

replied 1 year ago

Servus Peter, according to Snälltåget (Swedish seems up-to-date):
"När du har köpt ett Interrail Global Pass, måste du köpa en platsreservation för att resa med nattåget.
Det gör du genom att ange rabattkoden INTERRAIL på Snälltåget.se. Priset är 199 SEK för sittplats, 399-499 SEK bäddplats i delad kupé och 1999 - 2449 SEK för egen kupé (för 1-6 personer). "

translated:
"Interrail Global Pass is valid, but you must purchase a reservation.
You do this by entering the discount code INTERRAIL on Snälltåget.se. Prices: 199 SEK for a seat, 399-499 for a couchette in a shared compartment and 1999-2499 for a private compartment"

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9330 comments

replied 1 year ago

Hi Paul.
Sorry, my fault. ;)
Of course Snälltåget is available with Interrail. Also it was in the past on the train Berlin - ferry - Malmö.
I mixed it up somehow when writing the post.
Peter :)

Userpic

PaulAner
Traveller
9 comments

replied 1 year ago

Reply from SJ NORD:
"Du kan bruke Interrail-pass på togene våre, men du trenger også plassreservasjon på de fleste strekninger. Kontakt oss for ruteopplysning og bestilling på (+47) 61 25 22 00"

translated:
You can use Interrail passes on our trains, but you also need reservation on the most lines. Contact us for enquiries and orders …

Userpic

PaulAner
Traveller
9 comments

replied 1 year ago

Also VY has finally answered:
"Du kan reise med interrail i våre tog.
Du trenger plassreservasjon på noen av togene og kan bestille disse ved å ringe oss på telefon +47 61051910."

Translated: You need reservation on some of the trains. Orders on the above phone number.

Userpic

PaulAner
Traveller
9 comments

replied 1 year ago

There's an update: I could book most of the trips.

Hamburg-Stockholm and Malmö-Hamburg: Snälltåget website, with discount code INTERRAIL.
Stockholm-Narvik: Interrail booking system, self-printed.
Bodø-Trondheim: phone call, self-printed (50 NOK). You can use Interrail booking system, but your ticket will be delivered, it costs 6,60 € (booking fee included).
Trondheim-Oslo: still not able to book a reservation by phone, trains will be limited to Lillehammer due to track maintenance, from there rail replacement service. Operator asked me to call after a week.
Oslo-Bergen and back (included sleeper for 105,80 €): Interrail booking system, reservations delivered by post.
Oslo-Gothenburg: No reservation required!
Gothenburg-Malmö: Snabbtågen (HST) are still not available because of planned works. Still waiting for updates.

Userpic

PaulAner
Traveller
9 comments

replied 1 year ago

Final update.

Trondheim-Oslo: Got my reservation after 20 minutes of nice conversation in Norwegian.
It cost 50 NOK. No need for print, I loaded the reservation code I received via e-mail into the Entur app.
Due to Dovrebanen getting double-tracked, Lillehammer-Oslo by bus.

Gothenburg-Malmö: Snabbtågen are finally all available. Got my reservation as e-ticket using Interrail booking system.