Userpic

Bullen1337
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 2 years ago

Hello,
I am trying to get from Stockholm to Porto, And I have managed to find tickets to Hamburg, then to Paris, and from paris to Gare de Hendaye and then there should be a night train to Lisboa but I can´t find any tickets to the train. It seems like the train has stoped and does not go anymore. Is there anyway to find out if the tickets can be found somewhere else? Or do I need to take the bus?

(I am new on this sight so sry if my question is stupid)
Best Regards

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 2 years ago

Hi!

The night train is currently suspended with an unclear future (Portuguese Railways and Government want to resume the service, their Spanish counterparts dont).
Either look for buses or go to Madrid, then Badajoz, then by local train to Entroncamento, then finally Porto. This is only possible once daily from Madrid and takes up about one day.
Another alternative and probably better suited if you want to go to Porto is to go to Vigo (there used to be a direct train from San Sebastian and/or Bilbao; alternatively you can also go via Madrid), then change to Porto. The trip to Vigo is quite scenic but also requires an overnight stay coming from the French border.

Flo

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1336 comments

replied 2 years ago

Since a month or 2 that scenic portion of the Mad-Vigo trains has been replaced by yet another sector of Hi-speed (Alta Velocidad).
RENFE=the SJ of ES, has since a few monthes severely curtailed many of its MD trains, I think incl. also the one Flo mentions.
Unless you are married with trains, consider BUS. ESpana has a quite good network of express buses, many are run by ALSA. They also go to nearby PT=Portugal. You say tickets, so I assume you do not have that InterRailpass-which often somewhat forces people to only use trains-even if it means they spend more on the extraś as a direct bus would have cost them
(Yes, as I understand it, EU is now looking at the subject of somehow subsidizing the new re-start of these nighttrains, but as these things go-it will take years before all those green deals come through).
Also: from Hendaya-across place, local tramlike small trains by EuskoTren (=basque country) run to Donostia-then Bilbao, scenic ride, slow, very cheap. NOT in any pass scheme-pay ticket at machine.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 2 years ago

I was not talking about the Madrid - Vigo scenic route but anyways...

Userpic

Risberg
Traveller
43 comments

replied 2 years ago

1) There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers (which you got from nltrainer)
2) Sad news that the remains of the "Sud Express" i s suspended. That was a nice train, both when it had through French couchettes Paris – Lisboa and after the shortening to Irun – Lisboa, after the introduction of the TGV to Irun
3) The Spanish Northern Coast railway is the most horrible railway I have travelled by in Europe