Userpic

scott
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 2 years ago

Hello from Australia,
I go to Europe every 2 years and each time I make a calculation about which is best for my needs= individual point-to-point tickets, or a eurail pass. I used a eurail paper pass about 4 years back and it worked great.... This time I have 2x 2nd class 1 month mobile eurail passes (for me and my partner). We understand there is a reservation fee on some trains. We also understand there can be a supplement on night trains if we want a couchette, or even a compartment for just the 2 of us.

So...on eurail.com, trying to book TORINO PORTA NUOVA 09:55 PM INI 799 INTERCITYNOTTE to Napoli for 28th March (and I checked, its the same story on the 27th), I come up with (all prices in Australian dollars) $16 booking fee for a seat (ok sure, but I want a bed so I'll pay extra)....or $310.40 for 'couchetta c4 comfort per 1 passegero - compartimento intero'.

Those are my only 2 options

Even if​ that translated means 1x 4 couchette compartment all to myself AND another 1x 4 couchette compartment all for my partner then
a) WHY? Why is that the only choice we get? Seems like we get to have 2 seats between us for $16 ...or a total of 8 individual couchettes for $310???
b) Why so expensive when I can book the same train on Trenitalia WITHOUT A PASS but with beds for roughly $190?

Does anyone have any ideas how I can book a couchette/bed on an Italian night train , and use my $1000 Eurail pass to actually make this cheaper, not more expensive?!

I haven't activated my pass yet, or made other reservations, but I am wondering if I should just cancel the whole thing and start again with point to point tickets. I wanted the "flexibility" of eurail because of covid and because we will be rushing through the UK visiting British relatives as part of this trip...but the UK to Italy and back part of our plan doesnt look like good value at all.
Any advice appreciated! Thanks

Follow this topic
Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1336 comments

replied 2 years ago

Answered&explained on Eurail community. Price is for whole compartment due to current covid and for just REServation must be made at counter when in or via app if you hold the pass.

Userpic

scott
Traveller
1 comments

replied 2 years ago

My question concerned why two people who are part of the same family are being forced by eurail website reservation system to book separate compartments from each other. I understand the idea not to share with strangers but you think Id be able to share with my own partner? Anyway latest update- Eurail has removed any compartment option from their reservation system and it just allows seat booking only on the night train. I have managed to get through to customer support who are possibly going to give me a code to book with italiarail.com because it seems that the italiarail site might be configured with that option.