Userpic

ThereGoTheVs
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 2 years ago

I have done quite a bit of homework on this already, including speaking with both US travel experts and friends who live in the UK. It seems pre-pandemic, the BritRail Pass was the best option for unlimited train travel throughout England, Scotland and Wales AND the Eurail Pass did not include the UK. However, now the Eurail GLOBAL Pass appears to include the UK. It is also hundreds of dollars less expensive than the BritRail Pass for the 15 or 22 days we are considering purchasing. Is there any reason we would NOT choose the Eurail Global Pass over the BritRail Pass for our trip in March 2022? Our understanding is MOST of the trains we will be on do not require reservations, so we can't see any reason why we should choose BritRail over Eurail Global for this trip. Just wondering if we're missing something because SO MANY sites and people keep saying "UK is not included with Eurail" but it seems they must not know about the Global Eurail pass??? TIA for any true insight from folks who have done this homework or live in the area and are more familiar than we are. Appreciate the help.

(Will attach screenshot showing comparison from one site where I compared the 22-day mobile passes for each - 1 adult, 1 youth)

Attachment Image
Follow this topic
Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1324 comments

replied 2 years ago

The change from Eurail to being nearly the very same as InterRail (also offering 2nd cl for all those USAers >26) was already some 3 years ago.
I am used to €-prices as live here in EUR, but somehow I think you have compared apples and pears. As US$ is worth less as €, prices for EU seem to low for me. EU/IR has passes (but BR also) that cover EITHER 15 or 22 days consecutive OR you choose a nr of traveldays in the period (mostly 1 month though). Note there are also a few cheaper more limited BritRailpasses covering less of that funny island in the Northsea. (f.e. exclude Scotland). Use the best site for todays prices: eurail.com. There is also NO mark up for passes if you buy the new online on your fone variety.
But as such it is indeed often true that EU/IR is a far better buy as BritRail. Even to the extent that some Brits went living >6 monthes on the continent and having proof of it, so they could use InterRail to cover all of the UK-which would have cost them 4-5 times as much on local fares.

Userpic

ThereGoTheVs
Traveller
1 comments

replied 2 years ago

NLTrainer...I'm a bit confused by what you are saying regarding my comparison being apples to pears, but in the end you say, in fact, Eurail Global Pass and BritRail Pass indeed both give the same options for unlimited train travel throughout the UK while EGP costs significantly less seems to confirm my findings. I just didn't understand why the Eurail Global Pass was so much less money than the BritRail Pass (whether using euros or dollars, either way the cost is less).

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
568 comments

replied 2 years ago

I think Eurail is cheaper because the costs of these kinds of facilities for train companies can be divided among a lot more train companies. (apples to pears comparison is a typical Dutch expression, comparing things that are not really equal))

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
568 comments

replied 2 years ago

I think Eurail is cheaper because the costs of these kinds of facilities for train companies can be divided among a lot more train companies. (apples to pears comparison is a typical Dutch expression, comparing things that are not really equal))