Userpic

paulsherwood6
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 2 years ago

Can anyone help me get started with this. I want to get from the UK to Ohrid in Macedonia in June this year, and think my best bet is to get to Skopje and catch a bus. I understand from the Man in Seat 61 website that there are good routes including either Munich-Zagreb-Belgrade or Zurich-Zagreb-Belgrade. At the moment none of the timetable sites I have tried are showing any Zagreb-Belgrade trains at all, so I wondered if anyone could help me figure out if this is temporary (COVID) limitation or whether I am just searching incorrectly?

In general, is there a recommended way to search international trains, are the different sites equivalent or a preferred one? I have been trying with thetrainline.com raileurope.com reiseauskunft.bahn.de omio.co.uk rome2rio.com and tried (but so far failed) with interrail.eu

Follow this topic
Userpic

paulsherwood6
Traveller
2 comments

replied 2 years ago

Replying to my own post, after reading more carefully on the man in seat 61 page it is stated that the Zagreb-Belgrade train is suspended due to COVID. The other way described on that web site is via Budapest but it is stated "However, long-term work to upgrade the Budapest-Belgrade line means this route is blocked in 2021 and possibly beyond" So any advice on figuring out if a June 2022 trip might be possible would be most welcome, thanks!

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1343 comments

replied 2 years ago

Sorry, but you have found the best source already and with UK mindset will have to adapt to the fact=this is life, that NOONE knows for now If and if yes, when this will return. Do not despair if you are a bit open minded-the BUS is far more flexible, easy to adapt and also to book (no need to do this monthes advance at all). For ´I want trains on rails only´ also check a dedicated UK forum like trainforums.co.uk. And the many Inter/EUrail users now have their own community on eurail.eu- this same topic (mostly on the those GReek isles) is asked there dozens of times-and also answered
Bp_Bgr is under complete and EU-assisted renovation by some chinese company- I have never seen any estimate to be ready before 2023 arrives

Userpic

paulsherwood6
Traveller
2 comments

replied 2 years ago

Thanks nltrainer for those helpful points and suggestions, which I will follow up.