Userpic

TravelBirdie
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 2 years ago

Hi,
I am a Dutch lady of 64. I have decided that this year I'll travel to Spain by train, using Interrail. But: I do not know how to start planning, when to book, what to book etc. My plan is to first travel to Bask country (Bilbao) where I will meet a friend and stay for one week. After departure of friend I will than travel in Spain. I am a little confused as to where to start planning my trip. So I would appreciate all the help and advice.
Thnks in advance
Regards,
TravelBirdie

Follow this topic
Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1336 comments

replied 2 years ago

Hallo, dat is mooi. (ben zelf nog iets ouder en heb inmiddels wel bijna 20 InterRails versleten doorheen de jaartjes)
There is since a few monthes also a community=forum on the site of eurail.eu/interrail Many info can be found on that site.
Reizigersvereniging ROVER- hun site is open voor eenieder-heeft ´Op reis´ en dan landen info.
WARNING!! ESpana=Spain is nr 1 in IR-UNfriendly countries-ALL long-dist trains must be resvered, as a ticket counter and are often full at lst minute and also have to pay extra for each trip. In the Basque country is an own narrow gauge minor tram/railway called ET (EuskoTren), which does not accept passes-but fares are very cheap.
Nr 2 in bad countries is, alas, FRance with its many superfast TGV and even more that Thalys-also ALL must be reserved, often hard to do and will always cost extra €€€€ ON that comm of eurail you can find dozens of complaints and remarks about this. IF you only want to transit FR as fast as can by train, then forget InterRail and book online advance for lower fares. But IF you want to use more regional trains, visit other palces etc, then a pass may be worthwhile.
For RENFE= the NS of Spain I would rather advise you to buy-when there the Tarjeta Dorada=senior (still from 60!!) discount pass, cost 6 eur for 1 year, and make your bookings online before-in the payment section click on this TD and you will get 25 or 40% discount. You can book already @ home and buy this pass=just a little ticket before 1st trip with it.
Hopes this helps, even if its not quite what you may have hoped for, but better be prepared as nasty surprise!