Userpic

Stefan
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 2 years ago

I'm looking for a easy rail travel from Belgium to Tours in France (Loire Valley). I found some option that departs from Brussels (Midi) via a step-over in Paris Gare du nord to Paris Montparnasse... Don't know if this is a smooth connection (distance, time-wise...)? Anyone experience with this?

Follow this topic
Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1324 comments

replied 2 years ago

Note that only VERY few real TGV serve TOurs=the gare in the middle of town. Incidentally I was there in sept. last on a start with my IR then. The gare where most stop is ´St. Pierre des Corps, from where connecting shuttle-trains can whisk you in 5-6 min to intown-or use the citybus or tram=payable.
The easiest is always to try to avoid the nasty change with metro in Paris=change either at Lille (maybe walk over from Flandres to EURope station) or perhaps at the airport stop Paris/Roissy-aeroport Ch. de Gaulle. I think-but maybe only in hi season, there are even 1 direct trian BRU-via Lille to Bordeaux stopping at SPdC. Simply check any travelplanner. That of bahn.de =german railways or even scotty Oebb.at works for all of EUR and will give more results. Simply divide up in segments to check for more possible connections. If you want simply just tickets-book via voyages.sncf, the earlier the better.

Userpic

Passepartout126
Traveller
12 comments

replied 2 years ago

Hi Stefan,

You correctly found good connections through Paris into Tours (the middle of town).
Changing in Paris from Gare du Nord to Gare du Montparnasse is not too hard but does involve Metro and or RER, meaning you need quite a few stairs. With large suitcases this can be a pain.

If you travel light, just take enough time in Paris (the planner usually calculates already 1h30-2h00 which is generous enough) and enjoy the city of light while you're there.

Good luck!

Userpic

Stefan
Traveller
2 comments

replied 2 years ago

Hi both thanks for the tips, Tours is not my end destination - I need to pick up cars and go to Rochecorbon, so SPdC would be fine I guess. Only, I travel with a group +/- 20 senior people so therefore I'm a little bit worried about the "smoothness" of this connection in Paris, would be a challenge I guess...

Userpic

Stefan
Traveller
2 comments

replied 2 years ago

I 'll indeed have to look up some alternative routes via LLE perhaps. Thanks

Userpic

Passepartout126
Traveller
12 comments

replied 2 years ago

If that's the case then a connection through aeroport Charles de Gaulle or Marne la Vallee Chassy is a good option too. Watch out that Lille has also 2 stations about 20 minutes walk apart (Flandres and Europe)