Userpic

Kayzee
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 2 years ago

Is that possible? If yes, plz guide. For example if I am in Turkey and wish to visit Baku and Georgia. What would be the best solution? Should I go to Baku first and then Georgia from Turkey through train or should I take a train to Georgia from Turkey and then go to Baku by train?

Follow this topic
Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1334 comments

replied 2 years ago

Even though this new train has been promised since many years and the Azeri have even invested in brand new cars -slowly deteriorating- there are NO trains TR-GE and I do not know if the one and only overnite Tbilisi-Baky is running due to covid pandemic and restrictions. In fact I recall that no trains at all run in GE for some time-except an odd sideline to villages that have no road. You will also have to very seriously look into any entry-restrictions for tourists, plus that certainly AZ wants about anyone to have a visa and is also quite picky in who they admit. Of course this will depend on your nationality.
As always, no need to even ask, there are also/still BUSes and in fact in TR and also for lines into GE there are plenty-much quicker, easier to handle and comfortable as trains over there. Trains in TR suffered from eternal delays and cancellations-except the few new Hi-Speed lines.
As an alternative you could more easily go via GE to Armenija-Ive done that trip starting from izmir/west TR a few years ago, indeed mostly by bus (an overnight from Ankara to the GE border)-cross-, then another minibus.
So-for a precise answer you need to give much more details-or check a general forum that may have same posts already answered, not specific only on rails, like tripadvisor or better the (alas now not working) old thorntree of lonelyplanet guidebooks.

Userpic

JWiethold
Traveller
9 comments

replied 2 years ago

Ask in this forum and I am sure that you will get some detailed answers :

https://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/list.php?030