Userpic

Passepartout126
Traveller
12 comments

Posted 2 years ago

Hi, it seems that if I book two seats in a Nightjet I actually get a full compartment to myself now (due to Covid). The seat on the photo are of the type where two opposite seats can turn in a kind of bed. This makes this a financially very attractive offer. My question: does anyone have any experience travelling in seating cabins on Nightjet?
And is the same true for Euronight trains?

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 2 years ago

Hi!

Yeah, but this should apply to train to Italy only. On other night trains there is the option for a "private compartment" as well but I think it is more expensive than the current "offer" on the trains to Italy.
Anyway, the "reclining seats" work pretty well - however they wont be completely flat. Since you will have a full compartment on your own you can turn all seats into beds so you should definitely find a comfortable position to sleep.
Have done that myself quite a few times back in the day (nowadays I prefer sleeper accomodation...) and was quite comfortable every time. If you can, bring a small sleeping bag or a blanket.
All compartments still should allow to "recline" the seats; there are some ex 1st class coaches running as well which have more spacious compartments.

In principle this is true for Euronight trains as well but here it depends on which exact train you take and which train company the 2nd class coaches are from. Which train are you looking at exactly?

Flo

Userpic

Passepartout126
Traveller
12 comments

replied 2 years ago

Thx Flo, for answering even on Christmas! On the NJ Amsterdam-Innsbruck the option 'whole compartment' is grey for two people, and the seating compartment option provides only one selection: 'compartment'. I had the impression they blocked the middle seats and have a 2 pax limit due to covid. Try the ÖBB app.

The EN I'm looking at is Munich-Zagreb or Munich-Rijeka. The latter seems to have only seating at the moment???

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 2 years ago

No worries mate.

For what day are you looking for?
It is possible that "whole compartment" is sold out.

I dont think this option is available on Munich - Zagreb or Munich - Rijeka; the latter conveys a sleeping car only until January 10 and then again from April 8 till May 1 and from May 21 till October 2.

Userpic

Passepartout126
Traveller
12 comments

replied 2 years ago

So your take is attached picture 1 will not result in private compartment? And if not will they book 3 or 6 people per cabin?

Attachment Image
Userpic

Passepartout126
Traveller
12 comments

replied 2 years ago

And here's Munich Rijeka on April 29th. No sleeper or couchette option.

Not a big deal as long as I don't have to 'sleep' upright.

Both are April 29th 2022

Attachment Image
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 2 years ago

The selected option for Utrecht > Wörgl will be a single seat in a six seat compartment with the possibility of other passengers joining you.
I dont know what is the current practice regarding seat allocation on this route (eg if they would book six different people into one compartment).

Regarding the Rijeka train I would recommend to contact ÖBB (via social media or other) to make sure that the sleeper (there definitely wont be a couchette) will run - it should on April 28 but it is possible that they have "forgot" to add it to the booking system but it might also not be 100% sure whether it will run or not.
If it wont run (and they can confirm that now) I would book the Sparschiene for the seating car (well, personally I wouldnt since I dont want to spend the night in a regular seat) to get the cheap fare; otherwise wait until the sleeper gets available in the booking system.
Be aware that the coaches on this train are from HZPP (Croatian Railways) and seats cannot be reclined.

Userpic

Passepartout126
Traveller
12 comments

replied 2 years ago

Really? HZPP seats are not reclining? I really need to reconsider then. I booked 4 seats for me and my son. Do you think we can find any way of laying down? Is it still a compartment?

Thanks again for this hard to find insight/ experience!

Userpic

Passepartout126
Traveller
12 comments

replied 2 years ago

O, is the Zagreb - Munich train also HZPP or does this one have reclining seats?

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 2 years ago

Zagreb - Munich is HZPP as well. Have a look here: https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=OeBB&kategorie=EN&cislo=499&rok=2022
Look at coaches 273 and 274 (click on the camera icon for pictures)