Userpic

travelmike
Traveller
14 comments

Posted 2 years ago

Hi, I'm looking for the fastest (and cheapest) way to get from Austria to Granada. Is the TGV through France the best option? How much do you reckon is the price altogether and can I take the same way back as going.
As always, your help is very much appreciated!

Follow this topic
Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1336 comments

replied 2 years ago

Also WO in Austria?
FLYIng will by far be the quickest and cheapest-but this is a railforum.
I ask from where, as in general the route via ITa-ly-so if you live f.e. in Tirol or Kärnten, will be cheaper and certainly less hassle.
IF you also want to return, in 1 month, then InterRail is likely the best option-price vary with age.
You will also need to purchase for any REServation and supplement-and esp. for the TGV in and even more in/out of FR are very hard to get and also for INTern. quite expensive-even more as the cheapest flite ticket AT-MAD or MLG. But if you have more time as money, then using local trains can be nice, you can even make detours to see a little more.
The best trick is to NOT use the INTern. TGV over the border, but switch to local trains there.
However in Espana RENFE runs nearly all trains and all need that REServation, which can only be done at stations there-with the risk it is full.
If you want cheap, object to flying, then a BUS should also be considered-much easier to book, or at least as far as somehwere in Espana-like BCN or MAD.
FLY it may even be cheaper to book WIZZair, via another stop somehwere in East-EUR, but luggage cost extra and you need brains to avoid all the extra costs. Granada does not have good airconnections-use MADrid or MLG=Malaga.
Note that at he mo the situation re covid etc makes it increasingly more difficult and extra rules change by the day-you will also need to comply with all countries you pass by

Userpic

travelmike
Traveller
14 comments

replied 2 years ago

Thanks for your reply. I`d be leaving from Kärnten.

Do you mean the Interrail one country pass for Spain?

Trying to avoid planes because of the mandatory vaccine. Should be Okay by train with PCR Test and online registration though, hopefully. Do they check the trains at the boarders?..

If flying, Malaga and from there with the bus would be a good option though, thanks for the reminder.

Are there any apps that can calculate this train itinerary's costs? I heard of a website that can calculate the cheapest way for trains by splitting routes and tickets and thereby saving money, have you got any information on that maybe.

"The best trick is to NOT use the INTern." -> what does INTern stand for? International Train? do you have an example for that please.

I think TGV is necessary, Google Maps says the whole ride rom Kärnten to Granada would take a whole day, which is okay. It's more about the travel and not so much about getting there the fastest way, I hope it's not the most expensive by train. But yes, flying is of course cheaper mostly, I agree.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards, travelmike