Userpic

Justitiae
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 2 years ago

Hey guys, I'm planning to visit Isle of Man TT next year on my motorcycle (event in beginning of June) and to make things easier (and hopefully cheaper) I was thinking about hopping on the train in Vienna and then getting off at possibly Brussels, or anywhere close to Calais. I was hoping I could make things less exhausting and maybe cheaper as the gas would be around 100 EUR between those two cities. If the ticket is above 100 EUR than I'd rather go by bike from start to finish. The gas would be around 500 EUR for the whole back and forth distance from my home city to IoM which I rather find a bit too much (taking the plane would be like €450). I'm a student, so hopefully student prices apply. Or if there's train even to Manchester, that's fine by me.

Thanks and regards,
Henrik

Follow this topic
Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1336 comments

replied 2 years ago

One thing is a relief: sometimes, if the sun&moon are in good line etc and very well in advance, the new NightJet (not daily) Wien-Brussel may offer some of its seats for 29 eur. But not at busy times and you have to book as soon as seats are available-and no money back if it goes wrong. oebb.at. Students bring nothing in discount.
Now the bad news: afaik one cannot take motocyś on trains-though it may depend on the type, not just this one, any train. Though this may differ a little per country and again on the type. Have you ever done it before in Österreich?
In stead of this site for trains you´d better contact a motorclub with experience in these matters

Userpic

Justitiae
Traveller
1 comments

replied 2 years ago

Thanks, bedankt! :)
No, I personally haven't but I have seen some facebook posts of people taking the train with motorcycle to some other cities. I think it's ÖBB. I have found something called ÖBB Motorail and they have trips from Vienna to Feldkirch where you can take your motorcycle. However, I have not yet found anything which takes me any closer to Calais. Vienna - Feldkirch is actually not that bad on motorcycle, so no point in taking the train for such a short distance.
And I have found this:
https://www.seat61.com/motorail-trains.htm