Userpic

domborkowska
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 4 years ago

I'm planning on getting an Interrail pass for this summer however, i'm not entirely sure on which pass to get. i'm planning on visiting 7 different countries (i'm starting and finishing in England London) in one month. how do the travel days work?

Follow this topic
Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1334 comments

replied 4 years ago

How many countries you want to travel to/in does not matter for InterRail. Its just that in your HOMEcountry=where you live permanently you can only do 1 return to border/airport.
For the rest: its all very clearly explained here. You can choose between continuous/global or for a certain nr of traveldays in a month-if you make several long trips and stay a few days in a chosen town and walk/cycle/make only very short trips that you pay there and then. Compare prices and do the math, prices for IR also depend on age. ON the chosen days, which you need to write down in the ticket, you can travel as much as you like/can manage on TRAINs only that participate in the scheme.
DO note again that FRance and ES=Spain are not very friendly for IR-users, nearly all long-dist trains MUST be reserved and that can cost a lot extra, this also applies to EUR** to/fro UK. Most 1st time IR-users are pretty young and tend to believe that all and everything must be done on their holy smartfone by app, then they get smashed back in time and have to learn that there are still ticket windows and long Qs etc. and that many state railways are not the jolly nice companies that one is made to believe in the UK, but stern burocratic institutions that are often also prone to strike. OR-you get to learn how to live and cope with uncertainty and old-style methods. And also that many things on the continent are done differently as in the UK.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 4 years ago

Hi!

You can find basic information about Interrail here: https://rail.cc/en/first-time-interrail

One travel day is valid for unlimited travel on the chosen day - you can take as many trains as you want on this particular travel day.
For your first trip I would recommend 7 or 10 travel days. This would allow you to spend about three to four days in each city; depending on where you want to go you could cover shorter trips with additional regular tickets that you purchase locally.

Flo