Userpic

ralphjbr
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 4 years ago

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has any experience on the Vienna to Kiev sleeper and whether there is a restaurant car as some websites say there is and others say there isn\'t as the sleeper is a sealed carriage.

Thanks!

Ralph

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 4 years ago

Hi Ralph!

I travelled from Kyiv to Wien with this night train in December of 2017. This night "train" is in fact only a single sleeping car which is attached to several existing trains along its way (so called "through coach" or "Kurswagen").
Back in 2017/2018 there was a restaurant car available between Zahony (the Hungarian border station) and Wien; the train to which the sleeping car was attached on this leg consisted of coaches of Slovakian Railways ZSSK and I had a good breakfast with freshly made eggs etc... :)
Unfortunately, in 2018/2019 this has changed and now the train consists of Hungarian coaches between Zahony and Wien and there is no restaurant car anymore.

In Ukraine, there has never been a restaurant car in any of the trains that convey the sleeping car from Kyiv to Wien.
From Kyiv to Lviv the train has no scheduled stops so bring enough provisions with you. You can get hot water and waffles from the sleeping car conductor but nothing else. During the stop in Lviv you can get out and buy something from the kiosk at the platform. Also in Budapest there is a longer stop to get food and drinks.

Flo

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 4 years ago

There now again is a restaurant car on the train between Vienna and Zahony; open probably from/to Debrecen.