Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

Posted 5 years ago

I wish to travel with 3 friends in June 2019 between Novi Grad and Sarajevo. I understand a train runs between about 4am and 10:30am each day. Could you please confirm that information still is correct? If so, does it have sleeping compartments or only upright seats? Thank you.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 5 years ago

Hi Cameron,

the train your are talking about is a Talgo trainset (described a little bit here [ux]https://rail.cc/blog/sarajevo-mostar-train/[/ux]) which should also convey a sleeping car with beds (besides regular seats). However I do not know if these are actually sold; in any way you can only buy the tickets locally so just ask and let met know how your journey turned out, I\'m curious! :)

The train your are talking about is B (Brzi = fast train) 715, leaving Novi Grad at 0358 arriving Sarajevo at 1030. The same trainset should normally operate train 714 in the opposite direction so if you want to sleep longer you could think of going to Bihac first (unsure if you can stay onboard the train during the turnaround there).

Schedule: [ux]https://www.zrs-rs.com/files/zrs_red_voznje/zrs_red_voznje.pdf[/ux]

In the schedule you will also find additional local trains Novi Grad - Banja Luka; from Banja Luka an additional fast train operates to Sarajevo. However, you would have to spend the day in Banja Luka then (probably quite interesting too...).

Flo

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 5 years ago

Flo, thank you for your helpful reply. Whether I take that train depends on whether I can arrange a one-way hire car from Zagreb to the Bosnian border. That seems a little unlikely at this stage but if I end I taking it, I will report.

Userpic

Mimara
Traveller
42 comments

replied 5 years ago

Hi,

you can take a train from Zagreb to the Bosnian border:

9:00 from Zagreb to Volinja (arrival 10.53) and from Volinja at 12.01 bus* (only Monday-Friday) to Dvor and maybe to Matijevci border- if bus terminates in Dvor take a taxi/other bus to Matijevci at the border, and walk across the border to Novi Grad.

13:56 from Zagreb to Volinja (arrival 15.50) and bus at 16.58* from Volinja to Matijevci (only Monday-Friday) or 17.15\'\' directly to Novi Grad (daily).

* bus company is Cazmatrans
\'\' bus company is Toping Trade. Novi Grad (small bus)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 5 years ago

It has to be said that Mimara already crossed the border that way. ;)

Userpic

Mimara
Traveller
42 comments

replied 5 years ago

Hey,

we crossed the border in a bit different way:

We left the train from Zagreb at Hrvatska Kostajnica and walked about 3 km across the border to (bosnian) Kostajnica.

From there (at supermarket Kort) we took a bus to Dobrljin train station where trains go to Banja Luka (timetable of the trains see below).

Schedule of busses from (bosnian) Kostajnica to Dobrljin and Novi Grad should be 10.00, 11.00, 13.00, 14.00,18.00 and 18.30.

Userpic

johann_g
Traveller
9 comments

replied 5 years ago

Tickets for (some?) trains in BiH can be bought online from ZFBH: www.zfbh.ba/en/kako-kupiti-kartu/ [ux]https://rail.shop/zfbh[/ux]